Talk

Advanced search

Can you "store" sterilised bottles???

(12 Posts)
Halleberry Mon 22-Jun-15 00:07:27

If I sterilise a handful of bottles at a time, can I take some out and put the lids on without preparing them with boiling water and store them in the cupboard until I need them? Or will the steam left over from sterliizing turn bad if put in the cupboard for another day?

YonicScrewdriver Mon 22-Jun-15 00:08:10

I always did!

MissBananaMama Mon 22-Jun-15 00:25:13

Always did this. AND heated them in the microwave (the horror)

MissBananaMama Mon 22-Jun-15 00:26:05

Sorry I totally misread your post. I made up batches of bottles! Now I'm going to get some backlash no doubt! Haha!

Halleberry Mon 22-Jun-15 00:54:55

Lol no back lash from Me. It's just we have loads of bottles. Sometimes I want to do them all (about 20 or so) and put them away in the cupboard without any pre boiled water and being out a few as I need to. I'm always scared of germs. Things have changed so much since my last baby (10 years ago). I used to premake his bottles AND add formula straight away and put in fridge AND microwave. And if he never drank his whole bottle instantly, Id put lid back on an reuse up to 4 hours later. All this was ok by my HV back then. It's so different now it's confusing x

MissBananaMama Mon 22-Jun-15 08:50:32

Well I had my first 12 years ago and I was the same I batch made my bottles and stored them in fridge (formula and all). She's now a very big, very cheeky pre teen and it has done her no harm. The guidelines changed but I never changed my method. Currently expecting DC4 and will be doing the same

Plateofcrumbs Mon 22-Jun-15 08:56:37

I store sterilised bottles with kids on in the cupboard (and I'm a stickler on the formula 'rules' - don't make bottles in advance etc). Not sure if it is officially the right thing to do but never read anything to suggest it is wrong!

Plateofcrumbs Mon 22-Jun-15 08:57:03

lids not kids!

Christelle2207 Mon 22-Jun-15 09:23:22

Yes. IMO if you seal them that's fine. I wouldn't leave them for days though. We only have 5 bottles so they all get used within a day or so.

Halleberry Mon 22-Jun-15 10:18:09

Should I wipe dry before storing or put kid on straight from steriliser into cupboard???

YonicScrewdriver Mon 22-Jun-15 11:26:43

No don't wipe as cloth won't be sterile. Put lids on straight away.

We used to sterilise 6 at once and use as needed - might be over a few days as I BF for several of the feeds.

cookielove Mon 22-Jun-15 11:39:11

I take out of the steriliser and store in the cupboard. They are meant to only last 24hrs before they need to be resterilised and I adhered to this when DS was little now he is 10 months I still sterilise but leave them till I use them (yes i know I don't need to sterilise)

Don't wipe them down after sterilisation and chuck the formula after 2hrs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now