How to give expressed milk and not affect supply.

(7 Posts)
sharond101 Sun 21-Jun-15 23:10:04

I have been expressing a little after the last feed so some one else can feed Dd occasionally. My Mum gave her her first today and I then panicked as I realised my body may think of that as a missed feed and lessen my supply. How do you ho about it to maintain your supply? I decided to express whilst she was taking the bottle but that was taking away the benefit of my mum giving her a bottle I.e to free up time for me.

carbolicsoaprocked Wed 24-Jun-15 22:52:41

I'm sorry, absolutely no advice but marking my place because I'm in a similar position.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 24-Jun-15 22:57:33

How long have you been breast feeding for?

CityDweller Fri 26-Jun-15 17:53:14

This is a tricky one, and I think is the reason my lactation consultant said to not worry about expressing unless I really needed to do it (e.g. returning to work).

I did, however, miss the occasional feed before I went back to work (at 8.5months), but it was really just every now and then (e.g. once or twice a week at most after about 5 months). I produced the milk for this by adding in an 'extra' feed most evenings (about 9pm - after dinner, in front of the telly) to build up a bit of a stash.

It's less of an issue once supply has been established (can't remember how long this takes usually takes? With us it was a while for things to establish and then settle down as DD had tongue tie and I had oversupply issues), but if I was away from DD for more than one or two feeds in a row I'd have to hand express for comfort.

UpUpAndAway123 Fri 26-Jun-15 19:50:08

Hi! With my first, when she was about 2-3 weeks old, I expressed every day around the same time and she had a bottle of ebm most evenings. Supply was fine as although I was missing a feed, my body was also gaining one from the expressing.
Not bothered expressing with 2nd as bf easier.
As long as bf fully established and baby a few weeks old then your supply will be fine-if there is an issue then you will know about it as baby will just start feeding more (particularly at night) to increase supply (like they do in growth spurt) x

squizita Fri 26-Jun-15 20:10:30

If it's one feed now and then it really won't be an issue after 2 or 3 weeks. Honestly, it won't mess up supply.

I hope there aren't many women wrecked with exhaustion because they think the odd bottle of expressed will wreck supply.

In fact the main reason I was told to wait was to avoid nipple confusion. Not supply.

If you are worried, make it a daytime not and evening/night you skip.

squizita Fri 26-Jun-15 20:11:17

X post with up... YY to what she says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now