Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding discomfort

(3 Posts)
kittiker Sun 21-Jun-15 13:22:25

After a bit of a rocky start, I've been breastfeeding my baby now for 6 weeks. I expected (and got!) some pain in the early weeks and this has eased up considerably but there is still some discomfort mainly when DS first latches on. My nipples feel pretty raw most of the time, too. Is this normal at this point? I'm happy to persevere if this will resolve itself with time - it's totally bearable - but am concerned that there is an underlying cause or that I'm not getting it 'right'. After having come this far, I want to keep going!

I'm being careful about latching and positioning - HV / peer supporter / MW have all said it looks fine. All other signs are that feeding is going well - nappies, weight gain, baby content. I have noticed that my nipple looks a bit squished after he feeds but I haven't had any cracks or anything like that. Any advice or thoughts?

tinymeteor Sun 21-Jun-15 13:46:38

Sounds normal to me - 6 weeks is still pretty early days. I found it just gets so much easier as they grow and their mouth gets bigger. Keep working on the latch and get some Lansinoh nipple cream if you haven't already. You can put it on before feeds as it's fine for the baby and helps stop the chafing.

kittiker Mon 22-Jun-15 10:31:03

Thanks Tiny, that's reassuring. I've ordered some more Lansinoh - love that stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now