Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding in public with mahoosive boobs, advice please!

(23 Posts)
ovumahead Sat 20-Jun-15 19:13:46

I breastfed my son for ages but always struggled to do this in public without attracting attention. I have truly enormous boobs (currently a 36 J I think and I'm pregnant so I think they'll get even bigger once all the milk comes in). I hate being so big chested. I did express and bottle feed a bit with my DS then resorted to formula when out. Really would like to exclusively breastfeed this time... Are there any good strategies for maintaining my dignity?!

Chchchchangeabout Sat 20-Jun-15 19:22:58

I am similar sized and found the combination of a portable cover and portable cushion worked brilliantly. Cushion meant baby's head was level with boobs and could just latch on and relax. Got the portable cushion from thrupenny bits.

dragonfly007 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:27:52

I used loose t shirts with elasticated bottoms and pulled it up. Boobs are normally a gg but went to a k cup when feeding blush

ovumahead Sat 20-Jun-15 19:47:33

Portable cover? And what kind of cushion ?

T shirts with elastic in them or elasticated trousers?

Pregnobrain, sorry!

Chchchchangeabout Sat 20-Jun-15 20:01:59

thrupennybits.co.uk/ultimate-range

Chchchchangeabout Sat 20-Jun-15 20:03:02

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281165202045?_mwBanner=1

funchum8am Sat 20-Jun-15 20:03:52

I second the cover, plus a bit of trying really hard not to worry what people think of a bit of flashing does occur!

AnythingNotEverything Sat 20-Jun-15 20:10:28

Big boobed BF-er here.

Practice in front of a mirror so you can see what others can see. It won't be as much as you think. And it's barely anything once latched. Baby's head gets in the way.

Layer a vest with a looser top. Avoid specific BF clothes - I don't think you can get a big boob to point through the tiny slits they offer.

A muslin cloth tucked in your bra strap at your shoulder can be arranged to provide cover as required. A scarf can do similar or you can buy infinity nursing scarves on easy which work well if you want to cover up.

If you're nervous, choose where you sit carefully, but honestly, once people realise what you're doing they stop looking.

If you're struggling my with bras, you can convert a normal wired bra to a drop cup using kits from eBay for about £5. It's dead easy and nice to have your boobs in their rightful place.

LikeSilver Sat 20-Jun-15 20:22:18

I'm a 34G. I wear a vest top under a tshirt and pull the tshirt up and the vest down. Once he's latched his head covers anything on view. I've never bothered with a cover. Five months in with DC2 and nobody has commented. The more you do it the more confident you get, I think.

I use Elomi bras as I can't live without underwire! They're worth every penny.

ovumahead Sun 21-Jun-15 10:12:57

Oh wow wow wow wooooowwwwww! Thank you ladies !! I'm so thrilled at these tips
I wish I'd known about them when I was trying to bf my son years ago. I had weird breastfeeding tops which were embarrassing trying to get my boobs to poke through !

And yes I did try to breastfeed in public a few times... Twice friends said to me "oh my God your boobs are ENORMOUS! " really loudly in cafes and restaurants and it just gutted me and drew so much attention. They were both childless and had bee stings for boobs! But still, grrrrrrrr.

I also once had a man taking photos of me in a coffee shop and my husband had to go and tell him to stop. All in all it just left me feeling deflated (!) and put me off

But the breastfeeding pillows look absolutely amazing, as do the cover ups. Going to get a poncho style one though as the apron ones look like giant bibs to.me

THANK YOU ALL! smile smile flowers

ovumahead Sun 21-Jun-15 10:15:02

And anything I had no idea about the bra conversion kits. I'm so thrilled about this!

And like I love elomi bras too, do they do a nursing range ? Going to Google and spend lots of money in a moment, I can feel it....!

AnythingNotEverything Sun 21-Jun-15 11:07:18

Here are the infinity scarves I mentioned:

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/HoldMeCloseNursing

I think there are UK sellers too now.

ohthegoats Sun 21-Jun-15 17:14:15

I found that only one or two of my breastfeeding tops/dresses actually fitted my boob out properly. They were maternity dresses too though, so I ended up not wanting to wear them once I had a bit of a normal shape back - they were just too sack-like.

I got a couple of breast vests www.breastvest.co.uk/ and wore my normal tops over them. I found that easier than faffing with stretching a normal vest strap down beyond my huge boobs. Also, at £15 each it's not bad really - two of those did me the whole time.

I also got underwired nursing bras - from Fig Leaves www.figleaves.com/uk/product/ant-5068/anita-smooth-flexi-wire-nursing-bra/ which gave me a more normal (not perfect though) shape than the underwired ones.

I spent a long time stressing about breastfeeding clothes in general, it took me 3 months to work it out!

ohthegoats Sun 21-Jun-15 17:16:15

Oh, and I just wore scarves too - if you're lifting a top you only get a bit of your boob out, can let the top droop back over any flesh on show, without covering baby's face. If it's not working properly, then just drape a scarf either side of the baby's face.

tinkerbellvspredator Sun 21-Jun-15 20:38:52

UK infinity scarf seller www.boandbel.co.uk/#!breastfeeding-infinity-scarf/c1bjq

lordsandladies Sun 21-Jun-15 20:45:59

34KK over here blush still feeding my 1yo, 3rd baby.

I found covers / bf clothes with slits, all the palaver just made me feel like I was faffing about so much I was putting on a show.

For me I wore a bra with a clip drop cup. Or to be honest a normal underwired bra that I could scoop my boob out of (benefit of massive boobs) and the material just folded against the underwire under my boob.

Then a loose top with stretchy vest underneath.

Pull vest and bra down (tummy then covered by vest, hold boob with fingers in a c shape around main part. The top draped naturally above my hand covering all but nipple. Pop baby on.

Nothing to see over here folks move along grin

SASASI Sun 21-Jun-15 22:59:52

I find the JoJo meme Bebe own brand breastfeeding bras great & supportive even when feeding due to an extra strap across top of boob.

I found I just have to hold my big boobs for DS so I can't seem to get to grips with a cover I bought - or a poncho but it's very beautiful & I will wear it even when not feeding.

A large muslin draped over works well.

And bring brazen works too lol. Although I tend to go to places that are overtly breastfeeding friendly.

SASASI Sun 21-Jun-15 23:00:53

Oh and yes yes yes to scrappy vests under tops. Amazing. Primark & H&M do good ones

SASASI Sun 21-Jun-15 23:01:21

STRAPPY !!!

ovumahead Sun 21-Jun-15 23:02:05

lords thanks for that. I think I get what you're describing!

Can I ask where you manage to find decent bras from jn your size?

AnythingNotEverything Sun 21-Jun-15 23:25:03

I'm due DC3 any day now and have bought 2 Royce Charlotte bras in 34K and 34KK to see me through the first few weeks. They're available all over. They're not pretty but they're the best shape I've found for me and once I stop growing a whole size in between feeds I'll convert some wired bras as I posted above.

Chchchchanging Sun 21-Jun-15 23:37:34

I was 32I, I always wore a scarf, and then double layered- vest under top and pulled one down one accross iyswim

lordsandladies Sun 21-Jun-15 23:51:30

Curvy kate! They were a nightmare to find.

www.thebracloset.co.uk/curvy-kate-lingerie.html

My bf bra I'm trying to remember but it was the wrong size (f cup) it was before I did the bra intervention measuring method.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now