Talk

Advanced search

Baby won't take a bottle

(9 Posts)
Meandthee1 Fri 19-Jun-15 14:19:01

Hi. I'm new here so don't really know what I'm doing! My baby girl is 17 weeks and is due to start nursery at 6 months old for three days a week. At the moment she will only go to sleep on me, holding her or BF to sleep. My massive concern is how she'll sleep at nursery without me. I can't bare the thought of her being left to cry it out! Also I don't express well so I'll need to get her into formula by then. So far she's refused any formula or projectile vomited it when she has taken it (twice when she was about 2 months old). Just after some reassurance. Finding the thought of nursery very emotional.

Lweji Sat 20-Jun-15 12:51:48

What have you tried?

formula recently?
expressed milk?
different formula?
different bottle?
given by someone else?
have you left her with anyone else?

But, she is only four months old. She will start nursery in two months, and babies change a lot in that time. At 6 she will be starting to wean and her sleeping patterns will probably have changed to.

So, I'd certainly start to wean her off you slowly (as you are allowed a bit of space too), but would see how she is closer to the time.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sat 20-Jun-15 13:03:28

Try getting someone else to give a bottle once a weekend or maybe twice. If you try she will smell your milk and get worked up wondering why she can't have it.

Springtimemama Sat 20-Jun-15 13:07:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Springtimemama Sat 20-Jun-15 13:09:09

Springtimemama Sat 20-Jun-15 13:09:20

Flojo1106 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:52:09

I've tried aptimil and cow and Gate ready made formula so I need to try the powder one really and make it up. She did used to take EBM but because I'm so crap at expressing not doing this often enough. I have tried a medela swing but wouldn't even get and to out! I have to hand pump one side while she's feeding on the other else I don't get a good let down. She does seem to prefer mam bottles and teats so I'll keep trying with those. I only left her with her Dad but she cried hard when I'm not here. nursery says they will rock her to sleep or do whatever I do. She's just so clingy. Only I will do it seems.

RevoltingPeasant Sun 21-Jun-15 21:01:47

Hi op, I'm in the same position! Back to work in August, DD EBF.

I have tried feeding her on one side whilst expressing on the other. I then give her a bottle every other day. So not too pushy. I let her play with it. Often give after she has had a bf, as she isn't desperately hungry.

We are getting there. She'll take a couple of oz now.

Great that nursery will rock her. But remember, they are professionals, unlike us ftm smile they will have seen a million babies like this before, and they will have kind, tried n tested ways to get them to take bottles and sleep.

Micah Sun 21-Jun-15 21:04:55

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding/2406366-Baby-wont-take-a-bottle

You already asked this question, and I already replied here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now