Talk

Advanced search

DH giving EBF DD a bottle - what should he know?

(7 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Thu 18-Jun-15 22:40:03

So tomorrow we are going to try giving 21w old DD a bottle of EBM for the first time. Returning to work in August so need to get this sorted!

Any tips to help? Tia!

Artandco Fri 19-Jun-15 08:51:38

I would offer 2 hrs after last breastfeed so she isn't super hungry so won't get stressed if she doesn't but hungry enough to drink.

You need to also leave the room or house for that time so she doesn't think she can just feed from you

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 19-Jun-15 08:54:22

I second leaving the room, or even the house to let him get on with it. And also suggest waiting until baby is really hungry!

RevoltingPeasant Fri 19-Jun-15 08:59:33

Okay.....

<taking notes>

smile

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 19-Jun-15 09:30:18

august is ages away, you'll probably be fine without a bottle by then, feed at home and food and water or a sippy cup of ebm while you are at work. don't stress if you can't get her to take a bottle.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 19-Jun-15 13:43:27

Thanks all! Just to report, in the end I gave her the bottle and she took 2oz easily. So probably not a full feed but it's the principle!!

NickyEds Fri 19-Jun-15 14:29:18

Not what you've actually asked but if you really want her to have a bottle you might want to think about giving one really quite frequently. I've had several friends who ebf but gave a bottle maybe once a week/fortnight only to have the baby reject them completely at about 7 months. A Iam says you might be fine without them though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now