Talk

Advanced search

1hr15mins on one boob...?

(8 Posts)
monkey2014 Thu 18-Jun-15 20:06:21

Baby has just fallen asleep after 1hr15mins on just one boob. In that time he's been feeding continuously except for short breaks to smile at the fan going round and 3 times where I've tried in vain to offer the other side. Each time he gets upset! I'm feeding him lying down and he basically gave the impression he was comfy where he was and didn't want to change. I tried offering the other side lying down and both sides in sitting up/cradle position but he was having none of it.

This isn't a problem for me, but seems a bit odd! Would he have been getting any milk for a lot of that time?Does anyone know anything about 'refilling' as ou go? I've read milk production is continuous but would it have been quick enough for him to be getting anything out of this? He's been doing very long feeds the lastcouple of nights before a longer sleep but this just made me wonder if he was actually getting milk or just sucking.

bittapitta Thu 18-Jun-15 20:12:00

How old is he? Growth spurts mean longer feeds for milk but also longer feeds beforehand to stimulate milk production. Just feed from the other side next time, sounds utterly normal ime.

Strictlyison Thu 18-Jun-15 20:13:24

How old is he?

If he is sucking for comfort, he probably doesn't want the other boob because the milk is coming too quickly. You could try expressing the other breast a bit before switching over and see if that makes any difference.

monkey2014 Thu 18-Jun-15 20:17:38

Thanks for replies smile He's 10 weeks.

He hasn't got on to the other boob enough to get any out - he wont go near it! but he also wont go near the side he likes when iI'm sitting up. Is he able to remember the difference by now? I do think it starts off quicker on the other side. In general he will take both and you're right, when he next wakes up i know hell take the other side quite happily!

monkey2014 Thu 18-Jun-15 20:19:08

Also he does feed in other positions the rest of the time, just this last few days he wants to be lying down. completely fair enough but just interested to know smile

bittapitta Fri 19-Jun-15 10:14:50

Remember, everything is just a phase wink it doesn't sound like it's causing you or him any problems? Next week there will be some other quirk of feeding to add to the list!

monkey2014 Fri 19-Jun-15 12:15:22

Thanks. Yes, it's not a problem, I was just interested. I read milk production is continuous, up to 2oz an hour but I don't know how much he drinks. Do you know if he would have been getting milk at all?just wondering smile

PlumFairy2014 Sat 20-Jun-15 20:01:55

I've heard they're never empty as such, so he would be getting something.

My DD would feed for absolutely ages during growth spurts. (To up the supply). Cluster feed on one side for over an hour (or two...). She also disliked my left side for a few days and then boycotted the right side once, however she has always grown as she should be so I figure she knows what she's doing!

Now at 7months it's over in less than 5 mins sometimes. I enjoy the odd prolonged feed! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now