feeding issues- advice needed

(5 Posts)
catnip85 Wed 17-Jun-15 08:54:59

Hi, bit of a long story but my 6 wk old is having trouble feeding and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. She has been suffering with constipation since about day 3 when we introduced aptamil formula on recommendation of paeds to treat jaundice. Were now ebf her due to this. Ive also had two rounds of antibiotics in the past few wks. Basically she has started pulling away crying when I try to feed her, arching her back, pulling up her legs etc. She hardly takes any milk but is obviously hungry. She is also terribly windy and appears in pain and straining a lot. When she does poo (which isn't often) its always soft so I'm not sure why she cant go. She's also being sick often and her stomach is very churny. Dr said it could be reflux but has prescribed lactulose to help with the constipation first and said treating this could help reduce the reflux. Does this sound right? Sorry for the long post, I'm just worried and would appreciate your advice

jbee1979 Wed 17-Jun-15 09:34:12

I've had 3 lots of antibiotics since DD was born, and she didn't like them! The flucloxacillen was the worst, but she got on well with coamoxiclav (?) I think, which the doctor thought was unusual because it was stronger (?) hope right with those names!

my DD was exactly as you describe. Midwife recommended Bio Kult from chemist (friendly bacteria) to sort out my gut and DD's.

she won't be pooing much if she's not eating much and I was worried about DD straining too - even though her poos are lovely mustard and soft. Midwife said it's normal for them to strain, it's how they learn to use their bowels. I think it's funny now, I can't see how it takes THAT much effort, but then, there appears to be a lot of noise and a lot of force!

good luck smile

jbee1979 Wed 17-Jun-15 09:34:53

PS - DD is 5wks and 4 days

catnip85 Wed 17-Jun-15 09:49:33

Thanks for posting jbee are you taking the probiotics or are you giving them to DD as well? Ive got some that I'm taking but not sure if DD can get them through my breast milk...? I had coamoxiclav twice and its been nothing but problems for DD since

jbee1979 Wed 17-Jun-15 12:02:44

I'm taking them the probiotics and (touch wood) I haven't had thrush, which is a rarity for me. ask for flucloxacillen then, they're supposedly gentler, although my DD didn't like them. I'm glad to be finished with antibiotics! that was a hellish few weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now