Talk

Advanced search

Treatments for reflux other than Infant Gaviscon?

(6 Posts)
emzii206 Tue 16-Jun-15 20:03:35

DD has been on Infant Gaviscon for a few weeks, but it makes her terribly constipated sad poor little dot seems like she is in so much pain. I can see her pushing really hard, trying to poo but she can't, and she is screaming the whole time until she gives up. When she finally does poo, it's not like pebbles like a typical constipated-baby-poo, but is like a huge blob of play-dough that fills the nappy, then once I've wiped her bum clean, she pushes again, and its really runny diarrhea-type poo! This only happens when she has had Gaviscon - if she doesn't have it, her poos are more frequent, not as smelly, and a much better texture. She can manage a couple of bottles without Gaviscon, but then we get to the 3rd gaviscon-free bottle of the day and she will be sick with every burp and cry because it hurts her! It's like a vicious circle...If I don't give her gaviscon she's in pain with the reflux, but if I do give her it, she's in pain when she tries to poo!
So, are there any other treatments out there for reflux, other than Gaviscon??

Monica101 Tue 16-Jun-15 20:22:45

Been there with the reflux - it was such a nightmare sad

I used probiotics instead of Gaviscon.

Biogaia

Nutrivene

I gave dd both and it did help, Nutrivene is the better one if you just try one.

emzii206 Tue 16-Jun-15 20:52:08

Never heard of either!!
What do they do thats different to Gaviscon?? Do I have to be prescribed them by a Dr??

Monica101 Wed 17-Jun-15 07:41:11

They can be taken along side gaviscon if you like. But neither are available on prescription.

I took my dd to a private nutritionist as i was ebf her and was doing an elimination diet to see if her colic and reflux was diet related. I had to eliminate dairy and gluten until 16 months which did help.

Anyway we were recommended probiotics to try and sort out her tummy. A lot of conflicting research goes around about how colic and reflux are caused partly by gut flora imbalance so I think it's worth trying.

Becauseicannes Fri 26-Jun-15 03:28:19

losec is omepresole and is a lot stronger than gaviscon - it stops acid from being created in the stomach whereas gaviscon works by thickening up the feed in the baby's stomach making it less likely to come back up. It sounds like the gaviscon is working though? How old is your baby?

HeyMicky Fri 26-Jun-15 03:37:26

Ranatadine is usually the next step - it's like Zantac, it neutralises the stomach acid. If you've stuck it out with gaviscon for a few weeks go back to the doctor and push for better medication

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now