5wk old breast fed baby vomits!

(5 Posts)
jbee1979 Tue 16-Jun-15 11:39:24

My DD is 5+3 wks old, we're breastfeeding and it's going great.

EXCEPT once a day, from 4 wks old, we have a massive puke.

its usually after a big sleep and it's literally the complete contents of her stomach - no attempt to digest, straight in and straight out!

I've tried:

- waking her to feed her before she is starving and not too full.
- burping several times while feeding even if she protests that she's still eating
- keeping her on a tilt to keep it in her tummy

and STILL we both end up soaked with no warning as she looks so content!

I'm raging as often she's hungry and wants to feed straight away to replenish but my boobs aren't ready yet!

I'm just about to change our outfits for the second time in an hour.

what causes this and what can I do? Please help!

CultureSucksDownWords Tue 16-Jun-15 22:01:50

It sounds very typical to me, just the result of their immature digestive system. I don't think there's much you can do other than have plenty of clean clothes to hand!

jbee1979 Wed 17-Jun-15 04:47:14

Thank you for replying. it's more distressing for me than her! I'm just worried because it's so forceful and sudden - makes me think I've caused it, or she's feeling ill. PFB! smile

madwomanbackintheattic Wed 17-Jun-15 05:45:32

Both of mine did this. Dd1 barfed her way through the first six months, same with ds1. On one memorable occasion, ds1 brought up so much that my friend had to redecorate her bedroom (we were visiting and he took the paint off the wall, as well as trash the pair of jeans I was wearing)

It's all pretty normal. Small babies barf. Sometimes an enormous amount without any warning at all.

Ds1 was a total pig though. I suspect his problem was largely that he was such a guts and would just keep going even when he was way past full. I do have an erm, prodigious milk supply...

5YearsTime Wed 17-Jun-15 05:55:11

I'm the same as madwoman, my supply is actually too good, DD is a glugger and occasionally does the massive puke thing too. Thankfully has always been in the house so far as we will always need a shower/bath after! Usually it's when she gets stubborn wind that just won't shift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now