Talk

Advanced search

Bottle feeding problems

(8 Posts)
Kaismum01012015 Mon 15-Jun-15 05:41:38

My baby is 5month and half, weight 15 lb. a day he takes 17 oz formula maximum,he is not feeling hungry for 4 to 5 hours.always been having trouble feeding him since 3 months old. First was the thrush,then he had a cold which i think was effect his appetite . He poo once every 3 to 4 days, exert oneself really hard. I tried different milk for him to see if any improvement, didn't work, so I went back to his first milk( aptamil) I started give him solid since he was nearly 5 months,I tried to give him formula before his solid,didn't want to take milk ,so I give him solid if he doesn't want milk to make sure there is something in his stomach. Some days he had 3 meals solid a day.i am very concern about his milk intake.does any one know what I have done wrong ? My baby now looks skinny, he was a chubby baby before all these problem occurred .many thanks

purplemurple1 Mon 15-Jun-15 05:56:13

I don't think you've done anything wrong. But that doesn't mean you cant try something else. I'd drop two of the meals and any water. That should help him take more milk.

What bottles and teat sizes are you using?
As that can affect how much they take.

confusedandemployed Mon 15-Jun-15 06:25:18

Yes, what teat size are you using? At that age my DD was on level 2 but went up to level 3 very soon after.

My GP told me that her DS refused pretty much all milk after the age of 6 months...he is fine. She made sure he had a balanced diet, and especially calcium via yoghurt, cheese etc, and iron via green leaves, pulses and some red meat.

Kaismum01012015 Mon 15-Jun-15 09:47:58

Thanks for replying so quickly. I will try that . We are using DR Browns bottle , teat 6 mth plus.so you don't think that there is some thing wrong with his digestic system?

purplemurple1 Mon 15-Jun-15 09:54:41

Is he bringing milk back up after feeds? How are his poos colour, firmness etc and does he struggle to poo?

purplemurple1 Mon 15-Jun-15 10:00:31

Sorry just reread your first post. If his poo is very hard and esp if it is like rabbit droppings (small round balls) he is constipated. A little water each day and making sure he isn't wrapped to warm and sweating should help. If it doesn't after a few days id talk to your health visitor as he is so close to six months you could maybe give a little fruit or diluted juice to help him poo more easily.

Chips1999 Mon 15-Jun-15 10:06:51

I would see the health visitor or doctor to be honest if your baby looks skinny. They will be able to check his weight and give you more advice on feeding milk/solids and bowel motions.

Kaismum01012015 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:43:40

Hi ladies. When he was 100% bottle feed the poo texture was fine, but it was difficult for him to make it.when he is weaning, the poo is like aldult poo.i have been seeing the health visitors, all saying he is fine. As a mum I am with him 24/7 , I know it is not fine, he is capable of taking more milk than that, as he is still hungry, but there is something stoping him. I still could not find out what it is yet.gosh! Today was my wost day ever, he only took 10 oz since 4.00am .thank you so much for all your helpful tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now