Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding - baby crying

(7 Posts)
cwhite Sat 13-Jun-15 16:29:45

My 7 week old, who has been a champ at breastfeeding until now, has recently starting pulling away and crying while I'm trying to feed him. He is generally a very settled baby and does get terribly upset during feeding. He is fine about half the time, and the other half he will be crying quite a lot. I feel terrible seeing him like that and am at the point of thinking of switching over to formula as it feels cruel. Up until now it's been a nice bonding experience but I now think it is having the opposite effect. I think he is crying as my milk is coming really quickly - has anyone else had this? And any suggestions on how to make it so he isn't so upset?

Topseyt Sun 14-Jun-15 00:56:13

Not that I am a breastfeeding expert, I formula fed, but things like thrush in their mouth can apply to both formula and breastfed babies.

Each of mine got thrush in their mouths on a couple of occasions. They would begin feeding whilst particularly hungry, and then pull away crying because it was uncomfortable.

Worth a check. If I remember rightly it looked like white fuzz in their mouths, over their tongues and inner cheeks. Easily treated with drops from the GP.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 14-Jun-15 01:15:23

If you think it's due to a rapid let down have you tried hand expressing a little into a towel before latching? I will try and find a helpful link...

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 14-Jun-15 01:17:26

kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/ does this seem familiar?? Or if not, when is he crying exactly?

SJBean Sun 14-Jun-15 01:27:15

I'm scrolling through mumsnet but couldn't read and run! Finished breastfeeding my third baby four mouths ago but can still relate! If you have been going really well up to this point stick with it!! Thinking teeth maybe a factor here? Amazing how early teething pains start. Try teething powders (Ashton parsons/ nelsons) or anbusol liquid (magic stuff!) you are doing really well. Please don't doubt yourself. X

SJBean Sun 14-Jun-15 01:40:59

Sorry I just feel like I really need to add please please please don't doubt yourself. If breastfeeding has been going well up till now then he may just be having a fussy period. If he's gaining weight and doing well then you're doing well! Switching to formula may make no difference! Then you can't switch back! This is coming from someone who's done both but once you move over to formula (although I'm not saying this os the wrong thing to do of course) there's no going back. Have faith in yourself!!

PattyHewesnomore Tue 16-Jun-15 18:45:32

Dd had a phase like that at 8 weeks, was a growth spurt and only lasted a few days, really stressful though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now