Talk

Advanced search

Breast and nipple pain while feeding

(11 Posts)
Bazza2 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:05:31

DS is three weeks old and yesterday I started to get incredible pain in both nipples. They feel bruised and like they've been sandpapered. I was in hospital for four days after my section and got a lot of support from the midwives with latching and positioning. He's been feeding well up until now but I can't feed him at all at the moment because it hurts too much (through the whole feed, not just initial latch). One in particular feels quite hot but is quite full right now. I've been expressing but can only do it for so long as that is pretty painful too. I've had to give him formula to keep him going for now until it gets better. And tips or advice on how to make it better or help with the pain? I seem to have some of the symptoms of mastitis and nipple thrush but I'm just not sure. They didn't check for tongue tie at the hospital but wouldn't it have been a problem before now?

Bazza2 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:15:36

Bump

MumOfOne14 Fri 12-Jun-15 21:30:21

Hi sorry to hear it's not going great!! I've had nearly all the problems with BFing going, lol, if u have any red& lumpy patches on any part of ur breasts then go see ur GP straight away!! I left a big red lump on my breast for a while thinking it would go as the baby fed, but it turned out to be an abscess hmm. Thrush is not nice either & extremely painful, I wanted to rip DS of my breast & then rip my nipples off after!! I've used the nipple shields all the way through breastfeeding & I've had no problems with milk supply ! Maybe worth thinking about as a last resort?? Can u go to any BFing groups in ur area for latch advice?? Really hope you're ok & things get easier for you! BFing will get better for you!

Bazza2 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:56:06

Thank you for replying! What nipple shields would you recommend? I've got the boots ones but I'm not sure he's getting enough milk through them. Yes, one side is hot and red and a bit lumpy.

MumOfOne14 Sat 13-Jun-15 00:58:15

I use the medela 16mm ones. Just the right size. Baby will get used to them fast, I've been using the shields for 6 months now!! Go to the Drs straight away then if u suspect mastitis, If u ring them they always want to see you straight away. They'll give u antibiotics for mastitis. Don't leave it like I did, hoping it would resolve itself, because it can get worse!!

NotQuiteCockney Sat 13-Jun-15 08:12:10

Tongue tie would have been a problem before, I think, as you say.

Has anything else changed?

It sounds like something may be up with latch. Could you make it to a breastfeeding group? And maybe express in the interim, to keep your supply up?

Bazza2 Sun 14-Jun-15 05:33:49

not latch seems the most likely but I can't make it to any support groups. Things have improved after a day of expressing though. Thanks for your replies!

CheerfulYank Sun 14-Jun-15 05:38:55

Ouch, poor you. I have a DS the same age! smile

I also recommend the Medela shields.

DuhNuh Sun 14-Jun-15 06:37:21

My doctors are reluctant to prescribe antibiotics for mastitis - and I think that's the way a lot are going, particularly for non - infective mastitis which is what this sounds like. Self help measures like warm compresses and ibuprofen really help in my experience (I've had it 3 times in 10 months). The best tip I got on here for the warm compress is to fill a nappy with warm water as it holds the water without you getting wet as you do with a flannel. Oh also holds the heat much longer. You'll feel ridiculous but it does work! A savoy cabbage leaf in your bra is good too. But you'll smell disgusting...

pullthecracker Sun 14-Jun-15 06:52:23

I'm a midwife, it sounds like you have thrush in your nipples. You need to get some cream from the gp, and your baby will also need treating, as he may have it, may have given it to you.

Bazza2 Sun 14-Jun-15 11:20:07

Hi cheerful! Think I'll have to get those shields.

duh I would never have thought of that for a warm compress! I'll give it a go.

pull he had a rash that looked thrush like but it's cleared up for the moment. I'll try for a doctor's appointment, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now