Talk

Advanced search

Hot weather with 8 month bf baby

(7 Posts)
squizita Tue 09-Jun-15 10:32:50

I offer water with meals. I dont want dehydration but I don't want her to fill up on water iyswim? As milk is still vital for calories. Should I offer boob in between feeds as a drink or is the sippy cup ok?

I'm also wary of stimulating supply as I've 2 weeks of work in mid July ... don't want to leak! shock

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 09-Jun-15 10:35:06

Mine used to ask for boob more often at that age and just latch on for a few seconds, so he was just getting the watery "fore" milk to quench his first.

Either would probably be fine - how much is your DD feeding during the day?

squizita Tue 09-Jun-15 11:04:05

Every 3 hours for a proper feed. 2 meals of solids plus starting on a light dinner.
She's small and the hv is big on calories in! But she can get constipation from all the rich solids if she's not given enough water/milk.

tiktok Tue 09-Jun-15 11:07:11

Hi, squizita. Don't be tempted to over-think this smile Just continue doing what you are doing. Healthy babies of this age don't fill up with water - if she needs more calories she will eat more when they are offered, and if she needs more milk she will drink more when she is on the breast. Of course you can also offer the breast between feeds as a drink if you want to. It's no big deal smile

squizita Tue 09-Jun-15 11:31:45

Cool thanks Tiktok ... yet another thing which raises comments.
On Saturday I just took my boobs out with me grin and someone asked pointedly where her sippy cup was, but another time ill give her water and the same bloody person will say "won't that fill her up?"
She likes what she likes. I'm inclined to think that means she's ok. grin

tiktok Tue 09-Jun-15 11:34:37

She's certainly ok smile

Whoever is commenting is a knob.

squizita Tue 09-Jun-15 16:01:05

They're slightly perfect at everything ... or give off that impression. wink
Will ignore in future. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now