Talk

Advanced search

Stopping BF 17 month old

(2 Posts)
doingitagain14 Mon 08-Jun-15 16:33:11

My 17 month old is now down to one breast feed a day, just before bed, but I am ready to stop. He is eating solids well and has recently started to enjoy cows milk out of his cup (he has never accepted any form of milk from a bottle). I guess I am looking for tips on how to do this as painlessly as possible. I was hoping he might have stopped naturally by himself by now (his sister stopped at 13 months of her own volition) as I really don't want a battle, and to turn something he has enjoyed into a source of upset. On the other hand I also don't want it dragging on another 6 months. Any ideas welcome, thanks.

BanKimoon Tue 09-Jun-15 15:49:35

I did 'don't ask, don't offer' with DS who was 13 months when I weaned him. I was dreading it but he didn't bat an eyelid. Can you tweak the bedtime routine so milk from a cup is a part of it, and try smoothly going through the same stages without the breastfeed? We did boob before bath so he didn't rely on it to get to sleep then just swapped it in for a cup of milk - maybe move the breastfeed to a different time and see if he's bothered if you try and drop it a few days later?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now