Talk

Advanced search

Reflux?

(7 Posts)
Wardy101 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:33:57

My 4 week old daughter feeds really well and is gaining weight steadily, but is sick numerous times after each feed. I would say it's more than possetting as we go through at least 15 bibs a day and several changes of clothes - although having said that I don't know what a 'normal' amount of sick is. She is really hard to settle after feeding (especially night feeds) but often screams part way through a feed like she is uncomfortable, hunching up her legs and arching her back. She is prone to hiccups too. She is pretty easy to wind, but the pain/distress still seems to be present even after burping.

I have read a bit about reflux, but she doesn't projectile vomit so have no idea if this is what she has. Want to try a few things before approaching the doctor as don't want to be fobbed off.

She is only going a maximum of 3 hours between feeds, but the whole feeding settling process takes between 1 and 1.5 hours and then begins all over again. Any advice?

Wardy101 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:34:55

PS My daughter is bottle fed with Aptamil.

lozzy1982 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:39:20

Yes my ds is 11 weeks and has had reflux since about 4/5 weeks. It doesnt have to be projectile, just a lot of it. Esp at night as u say, or during naps when u try to lie them down. I havd been the drs and he has prescribed infant gaviscon. It comes in sachets that if u breastfeed u mix in some water first and bottle or spoon feed it them or just mix with their formula otherwise. It has worked somewhat. He is less sick and it helps with the uncomfortable burning they can often get with reflux. We have tried actimel anti reflux milk but it made him constipated so id stay away from that. Get to the drs tho, they dont have to suffer and its so common. I feel ur pain tho!

lozzy1982 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:39:21

Yes my ds is 11 weeks and has had reflux since about 4/5 weeks. It doesnt have to be projectile, just a lot of it. Esp at night as u say, or during naps when u try to lie them down. I havd been the drs and he has prescribed infant gaviscon. It comes in sachets that if u breastfeed u mix in some water first and bottle or spoon feed it them or just mix with their formula otherwise. It has worked somewhat. He is less sick and it helps with the uncomfortable burning they can often get with reflux. We have tried actimel anti reflux milk but it made him constipated so id stay away from that. Get to the drs tho, they dont have to suffer and its so common. I feel ur pain tho!

lozzy1982 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:42:04

Oh and u could also try a product called colief. U cant get it on prescription, but buy it from
A chemist. Its quite expensive at 12 pound for 7ml but u only need 4 drops per feed. Its for possible milk intolerance in early days. Research it yourself online first but its worth a try. Worked for us. Good luck ;)

lozzy1982 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:42:05

Oh and u could also try a product called colief. U cant get it on prescription, but buy it from
A chemist. Its quite expensive at 12 pound for 7ml but u only need 4 drops per feed. Its for possible milk intolerance in early days. Research it yourself online first but its worth a try. Worked for us. Good luck ;)

Wardy101 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:51:20

Thanks - will do a bit of research on colief and maybe give it a go! I will try anything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now