Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried and tested cluster feeding of an eve?

(9 Posts)
lozzy1982 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:23:39

Hi guys, as per the title was thinking of trying it with my 11 week old. Just need to extend his sleeping hours at night if poss. Hes waking up after about 4 hours so hungry!

Hazchem Mon 08-Jun-15 09:20:30

Cluster feeding isn't really something you do it just a way to describe a feeding behaviour - lots of frequent feeds in a short space of time.
As I'm writing I wondered if you meanIve heard that it can stimulate the uterus but this would be in large amounts so i would say it's fine unless you feel you aren't reacting well to it dream feed ? Which some people do By giving a baby a feed late evening while baby is asleep. Is that what you mean?

addictedtosugar Mon 08-Jun-15 09:35:45

How would you make a baby cluster feed? By 11 weeks, mine were stopping the endless feeding in the evenings - they would literally feed, doze, feed doze for 3-4 hrs.

At 11 weeks, I'd say sleeping for 4 hrs is about right. iirc, 5 hes is classed as sleeping through.

NickyEds Mon 08-Jun-15 09:38:50

tbh OP "cluster feeding" for me was just lots of short on again off again feeds throughout the evening- not something I could decide to do. Cluster feeding peaked at around 8 weeks ish and started to reduce by 12 weeks. I know it's absolutely knackering but every 4 hours during the night for an 11 week old is still very, very normal.

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 08-Jun-15 09:42:07

Cluster feeding is what a baby does, not what you make them do.

You could try doing what some people call a split feed, so feed before bath and then after bath to make sure baby is well "topped up" before bed. You can also try dream feeding as described, so just before the time your baby would normally wake/just before you go to bed then pick them up and feed them while all sleepy. It may work for you, it may not. Sleep deprivation is tough but waking at night is just what babies do, they are biologically designed to do it!

NerrSnerr Mon 08-Jun-15 09:47:37

At 11 weeks my baby was similar to yours, she'd stopped cluster feeding and would go down about 10, wake at 2 and 5 for feeds. It made a difference to me when I just accepted that's our sleeping pattern and to go with it.

willbillycome Mon 08-Jun-15 09:57:02

My wee ones both cluster fed through night (up every hour) so I offered them the breast every half hour from about half 4 onwards to move their cluster feed, which got me 3 hours between feeds in the night after a few days of doing it. I dont know if it would have worked if they hadn't already been doing it, just at a very undesirable time!

ohthegoats Mon 08-Jun-15 11:13:00

Mine is still doing 4 hours at a time at night NOW, she's 8 months old pretty much. Mostly it's 3 hours.

chloechloe Tue 09-Jun-15 12:56:50

I would happily take the 4 hours - DD is the same age and was hungry every 2 hours last night!

I did a bit of reading on the Baby Whisperer forum this morning. There it is suggested getting more feeds in during the day so they are fuller at night. So if your baby usually feeds every 3 hours in the day, try feeding her every 2.5 hours throughout the day instead, then every 2 hours from 6pm until bedtime. Have yet to try it myself so am intrigued to see if it works!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now