Talk

Advanced search

Expressing after alcohol

(11 Posts)
snowydrops Sat 06-Jun-15 23:45:59

I express for my DD, she is combination fed. This evening at a party I drank 4 x spritzers, I made them myself, each was about a half glass of wine topped with sofa. I started drinking at 6 and stopped at 10pm. I'm expressing now and planned to dump the milk but actually feel completely sober.

snowydrops Sat 06-Jun-15 23:47:10

Whoops, stupid phone wouldn't allow me to type more! Anyway, my question is would anyone BF or use this milk or just dump it? I only ask as my supply is very low so the milk is hard to get for me but obviously don't want to endanger baby!

123rd Sat 06-Jun-15 23:47:58

I think you would be ok to keep it. ; not a professional btw) I would have done so when my DC were still bf

mrstweefromtweesville Sat 06-Jun-15 23:48:42

Dump the milk, that would be my move, too.

gamerchick Sat 06-Jun-15 23:53:09

You don't need to pump and dump. Alcohol leaves the milk the same rate as the blood. You wouldn't give yourself a blood transfusion after alcohol would you? wink

bwow Sat 06-Jun-15 23:53:52

Keep, infant feeding team told me only if I feel drunk would it be a problem.

gamerchick Sat 06-Jun-15 23:54:16

And from what you've drank I would be surprised if there was a sprinkle of alcohol in your milk by now.

Gennz Sun 07-Jun-15 10:43:32

Cripes I've BF'ed DS after more than 2 glasses of wine over 4 hours! (which is basically what yours ends up at).

I found this calculator very helpful - actually very little alcohol goes into your breastmilk (assuming you're not doing shots)

evolutionaryparenting.com/guest-post-breastfeeding-and-alcohol-consumption/

Lillamyy1 Mon 08-Jun-15 06:42:04

This page is useful too kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

ThatsNotEvenAWord Mon 08-Jun-15 07:02:56

'Like a shot of vodka in a swimming pool' is how I've heard it described ie hardly any gets into your milk.

squizita Mon 08-Jun-15 08:52:24

I was also told (by a bf support mw and an nct support course) I would have to be "steaming" and probably too tipty to care for a baby before anything significant went into the milk. Plus it passes out reasonably swiftly.

I will feed after 2 drinks with food, for example. Non issue based on my research (and I am incredibly pfb about everything).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: