Talk

Advanced search

Should I express and how often?

(2 Posts)
hannahbanananana Fri 05-Jun-15 11:37:31

So I'm very early on in my pregnant (8 weeks) but thought it best to start thinking about these things... Appreciate it's very early days, but curious.

I'm planning on breast-feeding but wondered whether it's a good idea to express from the start? I'm thinking incase OH needs to feed if I'm in the bath or whatever, or maybe so he doesn't feel left out, if I have an infection or if baby isn't feeding well. I'm planning on going back to work part-time after 12months so will probably need to express then anyway. Would it be worth getting into the habit of pumping everyday, and storing it in the fridge/freezer so we've always got a good supply if needed. If so, how often should I pump?

cabbageleaf Fri 05-Jun-15 20:15:37

Expressing milk can be very useful, and I wouldn't ever consider beginning breastfeeding without having a pump at home!! But maybe that's just me. I expressed in the beginning because DS was too weak to feed at the breast, and even when we managed to switch to exclusive breastfeeding I kept expressing for a while until I had a few bottles in the freezer. That way, I didn't bother expressing when I went anywhere, there was always enough for a few feeds in the freezer (don't do this when you're still building up milk supply). I'd definitely recommend getting a pump and freezing milk, but only once you've established bf, say after three weeks or so. Ten bottles of 100ml milk each is a good supply, but expressing 100 ml can be quite a task. It might take two or three attempts in one day to get 100 ml. You'll find pumping more often than that when you're bf is a real challenge!
All the best for your pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now