Talk

Advanced search

7 month old EBF baby refusing expressed milk

(4 Posts)
SleepyAlpaca Thu 04-Jun-15 19:42:13

My DS has been exclusively breast fed, although he did have a few bottles of expressed milk over the first 4 or 5 months. However, we fell out of the habit and now I'm considering going back to work in 8 weeks. We are doing BLW so he is eating solids but only small amounts (today we've had a petit filous, a slice of peach, some bread and half a grape). This evening my husband tried to give him a bottle of expressed milk so when I go back to work he is used to it, but we've had 30 minutes of screaming and now he's fallen asleep.

Do we persist tonight, or do we give in and try again tomorrow/ over the weekend? He won't take a cup either. Do I wait another few weeks and hope he's eating enough for it not to be such an issue?

SleepyAlpaca Fri 05-Jun-15 20:53:10

Bump

pileoflaundry Sun 07-Jun-15 08:13:01

Eating enough to be able to go a day without milk would be hard to achieve, as until 12 months of ages most of the calorific intake is/should still be via bf or ff.

Have you tried teaching your DS to use a sippy cup? This would allow your DS to feed himself from the cup, so he'd be in charge, as he is with the bf and the BLW. Both of my DC took about a month of gentle practice at the end of every meal to get the hang of a valve-free sippy cup. We practiced with just water as there was a lot of spilling. By 8 months my DD could drink formula from the sippy cup with no problems (I was useless at expressing). So it was slow going for us, but should still be fine within the 8 weeks that you have.

Purplehonesty Sun 07-Jun-15 08:20:13

Yy to sippy cup. My two never would take a bottle so they never did.
But they did drink from a cup and I fed them morning and night myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now