Talk

Advanced search

How to defrost breast milk needed for bedtime feed tomorrow?

(5 Posts)
SallyMischievo Thu 04-Jun-15 19:41:51

So sorry to be a bit clueless but how do I go about defrosting milk currently in storage bags in the freezer so it is ready for around 7.30pm tomorrow? I was about to take it out of the freezer now and leave it in the fridge overnight but the advice I have read says to use it straight away once defrosted - will it take 24 hours to defrost in the fridge or less?! Many thanks!

TheSkiingGardener Thu 04-Jun-15 19:58:56

I would say get it out in the morning and put it in the fridge. Then warm it up before the feed which should bring it all to temperature nicely.

CMOTDibbler Thu 04-Jun-15 20:13:15

If its in storage bags, dh used to just take them out of the freezer, put into a clean small plastic bag (in case the seams had got knocked in the freezer and it leaked) and then straight into a jug of hot (not boiling) water so they defrost and warm up all in one go.

SallyMischievo Thu 04-Jun-15 21:53:19

Thank you! Just keeping everything crossed now that defrosted will taste just as good as fresh...

squizita Mon 08-Jun-15 09:00:59

Breast milk lasts for 24 hr in a cold fridge once defrosted, according to the books and sites I use. That's if you defrost in the fridge or under cold water.
Heated milk is used immediately (though some sites suggest you can warm it twice in the space of an hour or two I think that is fresh milk not frozen, and am not 100% comfortable with not using warmed milk of any kind immediately ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now