Talk

Advanced search

If you have a formula-fed, not-yet-weaned baby who sleeps 12 hours...

(3 Posts)
Pico2 Tue 02-Jun-15 10:09:54

How many bottles does your baby take and when?

DD2 is 4 months and sometimes sleeps through (12 hours), though normally wakes once. She is pretty much demand fed. Unlike her sister, she won't dream feed, as soon as she falls asleep she stops drinking. If she wakes for milk she falls asleep after 3-4 oz, so she doesn't want much. During the day I don't seem to have the timings right for her to drink 5 bottles, it is usually 4, but with the last one about 2 hours before she goes to bed. So I'm wondering whether getting her to take one more feed would be the solution.

Any ideas?

mrswishywashy Tue 02-Jun-15 22:54:29

I'm a maternity nurse and babies I've had that are sleeping through usually take 8oz four times a day. So maybe 6.30am, 10.30am, 2.30pm and 6.30pm. Some may take 9oz at first or last bottle of the day. They've never been restricted milk in the night just gradually stop drinking it. I do recommend if a baby is under six months and waking in the night even after a period of sleeping through to give milk rather than introduce solids.

katiegg Wed 03-Jun-15 23:05:40

Hi, ds is almost six months and has been sleeping through (10-13 hours) from around three months. We've had a few wobbles when he has been sick and the inevitable growth spurts, but once these passed he went back to sleeping through quite easily.

He takes five 8oz bottles of formula per day. He has his first bottle when he wakes, around 7.30 or there abouts. He would be looking for a second bottle approx two hours after this (sometimes an hour and a half after his first!). I've just assumed his tummy has been running on empty after the long night so have never tried to stretch the time between these two feeds. After his. second morning bottle, he'll go 3-4 hours between feeds for the rest of the day - so roughly 1pm, 4pm and 7pm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now