Ouch! Two-week old clamping hard. And I think I see TEETH!!!

(6 Posts)
ChampagneShowers Fri 22-May-15 23:17:38

Help please!

DD is two weeks old, and feeding brilliantly in that she is getting loads - mw super impressed with weight gain. They also saw her latch and say it's good. But she clamps so hard when she is first on - just for the first 30 seconds or so, that I am in agony. Eases up after that and all perfectly bearable.
And I do believe I see two little teeth threatening to come though her bottom gum. Mw saw them too and said they could recede ... or not!
Can I do anything about the clamping? Or grin and bear it? Will she naturally stop clamping so hard?

ChampagneShowers Sat 23-May-15 11:03:06

Bump ...

rcast79 Sat 23-May-15 21:22:11

When my DD was born she would feed, feed, feed and then feed some more. She would clamp on tight. As my milk came in and time went on she didn't clamp on so tight. It was sore for the first three or so weeks and I just kept applying cream after each feed. The nipples do toughen up and the initial latch stops hurting. My DD didn't get her first teeth till 7 months but when she did she experimented a couple of times to see the section I think. I just ignored it and she never really did it again. MW might be right about them receding as I hear teeth in babies tend to move around quite a but before popping out. I would say that the clamping will ease. Breastfeeding is really worth it, my little one had really thrived smile

ChampagneShowers Sat 23-May-15 22:01:07

Thank you so much for replying. I have no intention of stopping, just hoping this clamping business calms down soon! Or indeed my nipples toughen up! I didn't know if I should try and stop her each time she clamps, but I don't want to confuse her and have her stop trying to feed.
She is actually my second, and I BFed DS til he was nearly two, I just don't remember him clamping at all! He was so easy to feed. Or is my recollection just hazy! smile
I've not heard that before about their teeth.

rcast79 Sun 24-May-15 22:25:23

Wow just read that back and realise I can't multi task. section=reaction but=bit had=has sorry.

Think the GP told me that about the teeth?

Just a quick question about feeding till nearly 2, did your DS stop on his own? I was planning to keep going till DD stopped on her own, she is 17 Months now. Thankssmile

ChampagneShowers Mon 25-May-15 09:21:30

No worries, I understood! smile

I gently encouraged him off, but it took a few months of trying - he wasn't ready the first times. I would have preferred to have him stop completely on his own, but we were desperate for a second baby and my age meant time wasn't on our side. No more after this child so I will keep going til she is completely ready. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now