Talk

Advanced search

How much expressed milk for a 6wk old?

(15 Posts)
hereharehere33 Thu 14-May-15 17:39:28

Hi there, I'm heading out on sat night for meal and leaving my (almost) 6 wk old with my DH. I'm guessing I'll be away for 7hrs in total. It will be the first time I've left him and have no idea how much expressed milk he'll need. I've been struggling to express and only get 1/2oz to 1oz each time, after he's had his feed.

I'm worried I won't be able to express enough in time and don't won't to leave my DH with a hungry baby who is used to being fed on demand. I know all babies are different but does anyone have any idea on roughly how much he'll need? Thanks

PotteringAlong Thu 14-May-15 17:43:15

As a general rule I work on 2 oz per hour plus 2oz and it always seems to have been enough. So for 7 hours I'd leave 16oz. Remember that you might need to express whilst your out so you're not uncomfortable / don't leak. Hand expressing into a toilet is not glamorous but I needed to do it once!

Have you tried expressing at different times? I always get more in the morning. Some people find that expressing from one side whilst feeding on the other works.

lendi Thu 14-May-15 20:33:22

I have 7 wk old twins who feed every 2.5-3h in day and 3-4h at night- usually 8 feeds/24h each.
They have one bottle feed late at night and take 120-140 ml each. That is 4-5oz I think. Depends on how frequent you are feeding at no but could you do feed just before you leave then when u get back and maybe leave 2 feeds?
How would I feel about giving formula, or a 50:50 mix if you can't express enough?

hereharehere33 Thu 14-May-15 21:10:11

Thanks for your replies. Think I've got about 10oz (about 270ml?) at the moment, so could be short but will keep trying. I should have started sooner but didn't realise it would take so long! Think I'll try expressing on one side whilst he's feeding as always seem to leak lots and seems a waste.
I'm really desperate to go out as its a close friends hen do and I'm only going to the evening meal and heading straight back. I think I'll just come back sooner if I haven't got enough as prefer not to give formula at this stage.
Reckon I'll take my pump with me as will definitely be feeling uncomfortable after 7hrs...will be desperate to get back to him. If I have a drink, would you suggest pump/dump or if that necessary. There seems to be mixed messages about what to do?
I just hope he takes a bottle!

hereharehere33 Thu 14-May-15 21:12:09

that should read ...is that not necessary....

bobajob Thu 14-May-15 21:13:20

Most babies take an average of 25oz a day, so I'd leave an oz per hour plus a couple extra. 10oz is about 3 feeds so will be fine.

PotteringAlong Thu 14-May-15 21:37:54

You don't need to pump and dump (I'm assuming you're not going to be falling over drunk!).

hereharehere33 Thu 14-May-15 21:57:10

Sadly those days are long gone! wink

PotteringAlong Thu 14-May-15 22:06:45

Here too! grin

Cobo Fri 15-May-15 00:52:08

As I understand it, alcohol leaves expressed breast milk at the same rate that it leaves the blood, so by the time you're sober, your milk is too. smile

Awakeagain Fri 15-May-15 01:05:36

Kelly mum has a guide about how much milk to leave
I think it's based in the 25oz as above
And then dived by average no of feeds as day so you can work out how much for a feed
Does your dc have a regular bedtime and do they normally sleep for x amount before waking?
Have they had a bottle?
If def try and express whilst feeding if you are leaking but remember it's supply and demand so don't do it too much
I think that alcohol is highest in your milk after 3 hrs after you drink so with 1 or 2 drinks you'll probs be ok
I tended to express so my body had done the feed (even if later on) and so I wouldn't be uncomfortable

hereharehere33 Fri 15-May-15 05:48:47

Thanks again for all your advice. Managed to express 2.5oz this morning from one side while he fed, so mornings must definitely be better. He hasn't taken a bottle before so I hope he does, if he's hungry enough?
Looking forward to having a nice glass of fizz (or two!) with friends x

PotteringAlong Fri 15-May-15 06:41:24

If he's never taken a bottle before definitely try before you go out. It's not a given he will have it.

hereharehere33 Sun 17-May-15 07:34:26

Thanks for all your great advice. Managed an evening out-yay! He did take about 2 to 2.5oz each feed. Expressing during the night and first thing was the key! He seemed to take to the bottle without any issues. Think daddy enjoyed the time together and was happy that he could get more involved. Cheers again.

PotteringAlong Sun 17-May-15 12:24:55

Good skills smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now