Talk

Advanced search

11 month old still feeding 3 x per night and stopping BF in a month!

(7 Posts)
goteam Mon 11-May-15 22:24:13

Have to stop BFing in a month as I have to go away for a few days for work so seems like a logical time to stop. Problem is DS still feeding 3 x through the night and can't seem to get back to sleep any other way (rocking etc). How did others manage this? I thought he might be sleeping through by now or at least only waking once. He eats and BFs plenty in the day...

violetwellies Mon 11-May-15 22:29:31

You might find that giving night weaning a go will help.
I'm afraid I took the path of least resistance and found it easier to stop feeding in th day. He remained a rubbish sleeper and expected night feeds for considerably longer.
Sorry no help whatsoever, but hear your pain.

goteam Tue 12-May-15 08:13:44

Thanks. Do you mean just cut out night feeds? Really hard to get him back to sleep and he wakes toddler! Toddler was sleeping through from 9 months so never had this problem. Was really easy to wean her off BF to go back to work. It's so tiring! He's up at 5 am too having woken 3 or more times. Just not a sleeper...

dajmibuzi Wed 13-May-15 12:12:32

I was up every 45 mins or so last night with mine. She's nearly 7 months. toddler woke up because of it too. Twice. Watching with interest. Absolutely had enough.

11 months officially makes you a hero in my eyes grin

nottheOP Wed 13-May-15 12:17:30

I would agree with PP - night wean. 30 minutes before bed, fill up with porridge and a banana. One last milk feed then pjs, teeth, book (in that order to remove the milk/sleep association). Then set yourself a time limit so for the first three days you won't feed before 6 hours then push back an hour every 2/3 days until you get to morning.

You have to accept that there may be increased disruption in the short term.

We night weaned DS at 7.5 months and he slept through fairly consitently then until he had a bad phase at 18 months. He mostly sleeps well now but, as you say, he isn't a sleeper.

violetwellies Wed 13-May-15 12:34:15

All my sensible friends night weaned more or less as previous poster described.
Polo neck sleep wear and/or letting DP do the night wakes, offer water, all used.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 13-May-15 12:38:02

I would night wean. We just offered water and did it pretty much cold turkey - so no feeds at all overnight rather than just limiting the number (we found this just prolonged the misery with dd as she was too young to understand why we sometimes fed at night and sometimes didn't). They don't like it but they weren't left to cry either. I think you will have to accept that the toddler might wake but we saw a dramatic improvement in babies sleep from first night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now