Talk

Advanced search

Sore, tired and in tears

(9 Posts)
Firstimemummy15 Tue 17-Feb-15 06:01:21

My 3 and a half week old seems to have over night wanted the boob as a comforter. She woke at 12.30 and has had feeds but inbetween is just using me as a comforter and screaming if I remove my boob. I've not had this before, am already sore from 45-60 min gaps between feeds and I just don't know what to do

Stubbed Tue 17-Feb-15 06:15:44

Just keep going, it's hard, but sounds like a growth spurt. In a day (or less) you'll be over it as your milk supply catches up. It's not forever. I remember those nights too...

Bolshybookworm Tue 17-Feb-15 06:43:33

I feel for you. My eldest shark dd cluster fed at this age- she wanted to be constantly on the boob from 4pm to 1-2am. It was exhausting and left me with completely shredded nipples (nipple shields helped when the skin was broken). I think it's about getting your milk supply up. As pp poster says, it does pass, for us at about 8 weeks (the worst was over by about 6). They felt like the longest weeks of my life but after that everything got a lot easier and breast feeding was a doddle.

Best breast pads for very sore nips are the Lansinoh ones (all the others stuck to my nipples shock).

sandgrown Tue 17-Feb-15 06:49:58

Nipple shields before the skin gets too bad x

bimandbam Tue 17-Feb-15 06:54:13

it will get easier I promise. She isn't using you as a dummy she is stimulating the supply she needs in the coming weeks.

Do you have other dcs? Can you stay in bed tomorrow? get comfy and cuddle up together. Drinks and snacks to hand and a boxset to watch.

My ds is 14 months and my only regret about the early days was feeling as though I had to be downstairs with him during the day when dd was safely dispatched to school. I should have gone back to bed every day.

Lots of lanisoh. Eat and drink well. Lots of skin to skin.

I promise you it does get better and easier. If you can get through the first 6 weeks you will notice a massive difference.

And I am very jealous of your squish. My squish is currently watching tv munching a brioche because its the school holidays and I am a lazy mum this morning.

MigGril Tue 17-Feb-15 07:00:48

Just keep feeding, get as much rest as possible even during the day. Your job at this stage is to care for your baby nothing else evening else can wait a few weeks until things can down.

And please do seek some more breastfeeding support ring one of thehelpline or go to a local drop in group if you have one. Nipples maybe a bit tender from los of feeding but shouldn't be damaged at all. That shows your latch could be slightly better. Beware of nipple shields yes they can be helpful in some situations but can also interfear with supply.

Good luck. It does get easier.

Firstimemummy15 Tue 17-Feb-15 07:10:45

Thank you so much everyone, your support and comments mean a lot. We are going to have a lazy day together today in bed! I am going to a breast feeding support group tomorrow so I will speak to them re the latch. My biggest worry is that I'm doing something wrong and like all mums just want to do it right for my little girl! I have those breast pads and cream, I think as she has been on me so much I haven't used the cream as much but will do today. Thanks again everyone xx

HoldenCaulfield80 Tue 17-Feb-15 07:22:10

A good piece of advice I got from HV was to express a bit of milk and rub on me my nipples before feeding than cream after. Breast milk has healing properties and I was slathering on so much lanisoh before feeding that DD couldn't latch properly.

DD is 14 weeks old now a breastfeeding is perfect for a lazy mum like me. It does get better!

SweepTheHalls Tue 17-Feb-15 07:25:32

I doubt that you are doing anything wrong at all, it can just be really tough in the first few weeks. Lots and lots of Lansinoh isn't biggest piece of advice. Do you have anyone in RL you can ring? My sister kept me going on the end if the phone in the early days of feeding and I have paid it on for numerous friends.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: