Talk

Advanced search

Expressing but one boob not got much

(6 Posts)
dancestomyowntune Fri 13-Feb-15 19:39:56

I am currently expressing for my prem baby in nicu. However I am perplexed that I can get a good 20mils from one boob and only 5mils at most from the other. Is this normal?

InAndOfMyself Fri 13-Feb-15 19:48:50

First off, sorry that your baby is in NICU, it must be really hard.

I expressed for both my babies and I always had one breast that gave a lot more than the other.

It sounds like it is early days yet for you and what is important at this stage is stimulation as the more milk is taken the more milk you will produce.

In my own case, where I didn't have the stress of a baby in the hospital, it was the night pumping, at 2 or 3 in the morning, that seemed most important in helping up my supply.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you and your family.

threeolivemartini Fri 13-Feb-15 20:10:19

When I expressed for DC1 I always got 2-3 times as much from one side than the other, from birth onwards.

When DC2 was feeding it was always for much longer on the "better" side, so I don't think it was to do with expressing.

So I think it is normal, if bemusing.

Good luck!

cosmicglittergirl Fri 13-Feb-15 20:13:25

One side would give 60ml (at two months), but my left never produced more than 10ml however much I tried. It didn't affect breastfeeding though. It could well improve for you, but also not unheard of.
Wishing you and your baby the best.

squizita Fri 13-Feb-15 20:42:12

One of my boobs expresses much better than the other- however baby feeds for the same time/suction each side and the "bad" side can still spray everything if she has a look around.
So don't worry the milk is in there.

Hope your baby is home soon. thanks Good luck with the pumping!

dancestomyowntune Sat 14-Feb-15 08:41:05

Thank you all. Seems normal then!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: