Advanced search

Tad worried... How often and for how long does your newborn feed?

(8 Posts)
jessica3692 Sat 07-Feb-15 20:58:27

My LO is 12 days today. She feeds every 2-3hrs but only for about 10 minutes and only on one breast. I offer the second but she is never interested. I've changed her nappy and then offered the second as recommended but she still isn't fussed. She has put on 11oz so I am not concerned about weight gain atm. I was just wondering if anyone's baby is similar? It does worry me! She falls asleep after her feed and seems contented to me but I cant help but worry! Thanks all

gotellitonthemountain Sat 07-Feb-15 21:00:27

Congratulations! Sounds completely perfect to me. Mine never wanted more than one best at a feed. Gaining weight, milk satisfied sleeps. Brilliant x

gotellitonthemountain Sat 07-Feb-15 21:00:57

Best = breast....

TakesTwoToTango Sat 07-Feb-15 21:02:34

If she's not interested in the second breast, is happily going 2-3 hrs between feeds, having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and is gaining weight well on her curve then everything is going fabulously well and you can give yourself a pat on the back and carry on doing exactly what you are doing. Well done!

Things may vary or change (regularly!) or not, in the coming days, weeks, months, but just continue to go with it. Offer as much as she wants, whoever she wants and you can't go far wrong.

Congratulations on your baby grin

TakesTwoToTango Sat 07-Feb-15 21:03:50

jessica3692 Sat 07-Feb-15 21:18:33

Thanks so much for your lovely reassuring messages smile

squizita Sun 08-Feb-15 10:35:33

My dd has done that. She's also had days of both boobs 30 min. She's 4 months old now and I just go with whether she is acting hungry and her nappies.
It varies so much. I guess it depends on thirst and mood.

nutmegandginger Sun 08-Feb-15 18:09:59

My DD rarely wanted the second breast when she was a newborn. She's now 3 months and still often only wants one side. It sounds like your baby is doing really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now