Advanced search

unsure about milk supply.

(13 Posts)
Cheeriosfortotoro Thu 05-Feb-15 14:39:14

Hi really need advice. Have managed to bf my dd2 for nearly 8 weeks now and today she's really fussy and wants to keep feeding. I started the mini pill Monday and even though I know it shouldn't Im worried its affected my supply sad iv started drinking more water as really thirsty but I'm worried as I don't feel the let down today or yesterday like normal and my boobs are soft. I'm new to bf as dd1 couldn't latch. Dd2 is still managing to get something out as she sicked a bit up earlier and has lots of wet and dirty nappies. Please help and calm me down as iv got this far and don't want to quit yet.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 05-Feb-15 14:41:45

Sounds like you're doing fine. There's a growth spurt at around 8 weeks which could explain why your baby wants to feed more at the moment.

LastOneDancing Thu 05-Feb-15 14:56:02

The nappies are the key - lots of wet and dirty tell you that she is getting milk.
Your breasts will get softer as your milk settles, particularly if your DD is feeding lots, they're not getting chance to be 'full'.

It sounds like you're doing wonderfully OP. Honestly things just get easier from here, trust yourself and your body.

LastOneDancing Thu 05-Feb-15 14:58:57

If you want RL advice today you could give the national breastfeeding helpline a call.

The lady I spoke to was lovely and very reassuring.

Cheeriosfortotoro Thu 05-Feb-15 14:59:35

Thank you pourquoi. I just worry as she was prem. My mum said its all normal too but other people have asked me if I think I have enough and its made me doubt myself and my body.

Cheeriosfortotoro Thu 05-Feb-15 15:03:13

Thanks lastone, sometimes I just need reassuring! All went wrong with dd1 bf wise got quite low over it but seems to be different this time.

NickyEds Thu 05-Feb-15 15:49:10

After 2 months my boobs calmed down a lot and I rarely had that rock hard, leaking feeling unless I missed a feed (ds was mix fed) and even then it was nothing like the early days. I think it's normal and has something to do with going from hormonal to demand based production. As pp have said, look at nappies and general well being rather than boob-feel!

Cheeriosfortotoro Fri 06-Feb-15 10:43:08

Thanks Nicky, seems I have quite a lot of milk today after her working hard to build it up yesterday! She's definitely putting on weight as her little thighs are filling out :-)

NickyEds Sat 07-Feb-15 10:06:36

envy at newborn baby thighs!!

Among my friends who bf most of us started to worry where our milk had gone at around 8-12 weeks as the rock hard boobage disappeared!

Cheeriosfortotoro Sat 07-Feb-15 11:10:52

I hope she gets chubby wrists too! I feel much better about it now, thanks Nicky! smile

squizita Sat 07-Feb-15 11:35:15

My dd wants to feed 12 times some days, 7 others. She's 4 1/2 months and it relates to growth, if she's poorly or needs comfort or if she's feeling independent etc.
I pump every 2 days and whether hard or soft boobs, hungry or less hungry day, the same amount pumps out so I don't worry. smile

squizita Sat 07-Feb-15 11:36:23

...and my dd only got fat wrists and s thigh roll after 3 months. hv said she's "long and lean" and some babies just are.

LastOneDancing Sat 07-Feb-15 12:00:12

I had a 'banana baby' too, supposedly it's common for breastfed babes to be long & lean.

I had fatty bracelet/ chunky leg envy until DS started weaning and suddenly got fat went up a centile grin he now has a fine belly for raspberries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now