Advanced search

EBF 3m old sleeping through - is it OK?

(9 Posts)
moggle Sun 01-Feb-15 23:11:59

My 12 wk old DD has started sleeping through the night recently... after Christmas we started putting her upstairs to bed after a 7pm feed, and then feeding her at 11pm when I get in bed. Now within the last three weeks she's slept through from 11pm to 7am probably about half of the nights. Some threads I've read recently on here have made me worry that perhaps this isn't the brilliant thing it seems on the surface so I just wanted to find out if I should be waking her.

She's been steady on the 50th percentile since birth (although she hasn't been weighed since she started sleeping through, I will be taking her this week). Since 2 weeks old she has only been waking in the night once, at about 3-4am, so sleeping through is only actually dropping one feed. From her POV feeding has been great - she knew what to do from the moment she was born and several professionals told me her latch was good. My nipples took a real pasting in the first couple of weeks - I have super sensitive skin and had big cracks on both nipples - but they are fine now and I am enjoying breastfeeding her. She takes a bottle of breastmilk once a week on average.

The nights she's slept through I've mostly managed to express 5-6oz in the mornings, but am I going to mess things up by not waking up in the middle of the night to express or feed her? I don't particularly want to have to supplement with formula. Also, is my period going to come back?! (please no not yet!).

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Sun 01-Feb-15 23:18:28

My dd slept 11 to 7 from 5 weeks. Your baby will be fine. Just keep an eye on her weight and that she is having plenty of wet nappies.
Your feeding will be fine, your body will just adjust to not feed in the night., no need to supplement unless you want too. Don't worry.

anothernumberone Sun 01-Feb-15 23:27:13

Please enjoy every second except waking up with boobs about to explode. DS did this and then bang the 4 month sleep regression and 2 years of not sleeping through the night. It might continue for ever but it might end.

unclerory Sun 01-Feb-15 23:27:16

DD2 (steady weight gain throughout her first year, very efficient EBF baby, feeds lasted 10 mins max, she had a fantastic latch) slept through between 3 and 4 months. She then started waking in the night again just as my periods returned!

I'm not sure why you'd have to supplement, an efficient EBFer who is gaining weight is doing perfectly. Is she sleeping in the same room as you? She'll be fine, you won't be missing any night wakings since you EBF. Enjoy her, enough sleep (for you) makes it much easier to appreciate them when they are small.

anothernumberone Sun 01-Feb-15 23:28:09

My period came back at 17 months btw.

moggle Mon 02-Feb-15 09:59:32

Thanks all, I will enjoy it then however long it lasts!

CoolCat2014 Tue 03-Feb-15 14:37:19

Dd started sleeping through at 8 weeks. She's doing fine EBF at 20 now smile

moggle Tue 03-Feb-15 15:48:48

Cool :-D
Well last night I decided to let her wake me for her feed instead of dreamfeeding her at 11 and she slept til 6am- that was 10 hrs since her last feed! Yesterday must've been very tiring!

Noodledoodledoo Wed 04-Feb-15 03:55:37

She sounds like my little girl who is 4 months. Has been almost identical since 2 months. I still wake her most nights for dream feed at 11 purely selfish as my supply has not adjusted so I wake/end up expressing in small hours if I don't. No signs of sleep regression here either just likes her sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now