Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Large baby bottles?

(17 Posts)
Waggamamma Sun 01-Feb-15 20:05:47

My ds is 20wks and nearly 9kg (following his centile line exactly). I'm keen not to wean until 6months but he's a hungry wee guy! He generally takes 8oz feeds during the day but his bedtime bottle he has cried for more every night for the last week. Tonight he had 13oz!!

My bottles only hold 9oz. Does anyone know of a brand that makes bigger bottles than this? Preparing a feed then doing another straight after with a tired hungry baby in ny arms is getting stressful!

CunfuddledAlways Sun 01-Feb-15 20:13:41

Can you get hungry baby milk? Or make two bottles up to start with and keep one if he doesn't want it for another feed? As its only for six weeks or so

CunfuddledAlways Sun 01-Feb-15 20:14:18

Not overly helpful sorry but only seen bottles to 9 oz

deborah86 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:40:42

I was talking to my mum about this today. She was telling me that when she had us, they told her if your baby takes more than 8 oz and is still hungry they had to introduce baby rice. I thought that makes sense it's a lot of milk to keep up with. just think how big the bottles will be in a few weeks time shock

FATEdestiny Sun 01-Feb-15 21:49:53

Could you make feeds more frequent, rather than massive?

My DD is big as well - 91st centile and she is 18 weeks. She feeds 2 1/2 hourly through the daytime 8am to 8pm and then again at 11pm. This means she has 7 bottles a day. I make 7oz bottles and she usually finishes them or nearly does.

Recommended for 4 months (according to SMA tin) is 5 6oz feed per day, so I do worry about over feeding her. But it is what she wants, so am led by her.

FATEdestiny Sun 01-Feb-15 21:51:40

sorry - to be clear she drinks a volume of 7oz per feed (which is 6oz water + 6 scoops formula)

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 01-Feb-15 21:52:50

How often is he feeding? It does sound like you might be better adding more frequent feeds? Or just make two bottles- I've never seen bigger than 9oz

dementedpixie Sun 01-Feb-15 23:03:43

Avent used to do a 10oz one don't know if they still do. I used to just make up extra in a second bottle on the occasion mine wanted extra to drink

dementedpixie Sun 01-Feb-15 23:06:45

They do an 11oz bottle

avent 11oz

Kelpie78 Sun 01-Feb-15 23:10:20

NUK do 10z bottles. My DS (22months) still takes 13 Oz at night. Still uses 2 bottles, though a bit bigger. HTH.

dementedpixie Sun 01-Feb-15 23:16:47

Other makes do 330ml bottles too if you google

NovemberRainbow Mon 02-Feb-15 17:25:06

Less calories and less nutrition in baby rice, much better to give milk.

I would try feeding more often if possible or make two at a time.

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Feb-15 17:32:31

Avent make 13oz bottles, but you generally have order them especially.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 02-Feb-15 17:37:53

Just make up a 9oz bottle and a 4oz bottle at the same time?

I make my bottles up four at a time and refridgerate them so theres always another one to hand if needs be.

How frequently is he feeding?

Jackieharris Mon 02-Feb-15 17:38:02

Make up a 9oz bottle and one of those small 4oz bottles at the same time.

A decade ago you would have been told to introduce baby rice.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 02-Feb-15 17:40:33

Baby rice is thicker but has less nutrition in it than milk so I would just offer as much milk as he wants. I wouldn't go for hungry baby milk either as the only difference is that it takes longer to digest. Id make up 2 bottles. It will calm down smile

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Feb-15 17:48:40

Really sorry, I can't find the 13oz Avent bottles - it was 6 years ago my friend used them.

don't know if these 10oz bottles would be any help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: