Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Stopping bf at 11 months

(5 Posts)
NocturnalBaby Sun 01-Feb-15 19:31:29

My ds is almost 11mo, and I've been breastfeeding until now with no real problems. I always wanted to go until a year, but the last few days more teeth have come through and he keeps catching me quite painfully (again - he got his teeth early, so biting has been a recurrent theme, but it's never bothered me until now). Plus I'm just fed up with it - I only feed him 2-3 times a day, and I'd just like to stop. He doesn't take a bottle easily though, so I don't really want to give him formula. Does anybody know whether it's ok to stop feeding him either breast or formula milk before the year mark? He is a healthy heavy baby who eats pretty well.

lalalonglegs Sun 01-Feb-15 19:38:41

He'll need some fluids though - do you intend to give him water from a cup? If so, then it should be fine - he can have cow's milk in food right away and drink it once he turns one (although if he drinks water enthusiastically, I would be tempted to keep him on that and feed him dairy through solids).

makeminea6x Sun 01-Feb-15 19:41:27

Fair enough if you'd like to stop but the biting probably will only last a couple more days. Both of my kids got their first teeth at 4/12 - so I know it's literally a pain!
It's recommended to not give cows milk as a drink until 1 because it doesn't contain enough iron for under 1s.
I'd go straight to a sippy cup like pp, no point starting bottles now just to have to wean off them in a few months.

NocturnalBaby Mon 02-Feb-15 07:04:58

He drinks water from a cup ok, but we struggle to get him to drink a lot. He has milk on his cereal and loves yoghurt and cheese, so I'm not too worried about the dairy, just the extra vitamins in breastmilk/formula. I guess the one year mark feels a little arbitrary - does the last 5 weeks before he turns one really make any difference? I know the biting will probably pass, but that's just a final straw for me - think I will see how I feel by the end of this week. Thanks for the posts.

McBaby Mon 02-Feb-15 07:45:25

He still needs some milk so you could swop one milk feed a week for cows milk then by 1 year he will not be having breast milk. It's only advised to drop 1 a week to avoid issues like mastitis. They need milk or lots of dairy till 2. I stopped feeding dd1 at 14 months and she only has about 4oz of cows milk a day but pots cheese etc she just wasn't and still isn't at 2.5 a big milk drinker.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: