Talk

Advanced search

Sippy cup with 3 month old.... Ever been done?

(9 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Sun 01-Feb-15 12:17:57

Hiya, I exclusively breast feed my 3 month old.

My MIL suggested I try a sippy cup. Initially I thought 'no way, too young!' (especially since the cup ive got says from 4 months)... But now I'm thinking why not!?

She's got excellent head control now and can sit with lots of support (like a bumbo) if that makes any difference.

What do you think? Worth a shot?

Bellyrub1980 Sun 01-Feb-15 12:18:25

PS I'd express milk for the cup

Bellyrub1980 Mon 02-Feb-15 09:46:44

Bumping just in case...

Theas18 Mon 02-Feb-15 09:50:54

Small babies can be successfully cup fed but IIRC it's from an open cup ( or a little medicine tot) rather than a sippy cup.

Maybe boiled water for play/drinking but unless there is some reason you can feed from the breast I wouldn't bother, it's ages till a bigger baby manages any real volume from a sippy.

ChatEnOeuf Tue 03-Feb-15 16:00:46

DD used a Doidy cup from 4m, as she didn't take to bottles at all. Only occasionally as it was a pain and slow and messy grin - until 6m when we weaned and she used it for water. No need for water in EBF babies before then.

tryingtocatchthewind Tue 03-Feb-15 16:03:27

Try a small cup (shot glass). The hospital gave my son one from birth to lap milk out of like a cat

fishfingerSarnies Tue 03-Feb-15 16:07:40

I gave dd a sippy cup with a tiny little bit of breast milk in just to play with she was probably about the same age, I used to lie her on a towel or prop her up. She got it pretty quickly by about 5 months I could give her a milk feed from it if desperate which was useful as she refused a bottle. Worth a try, my dd did bash herself on the head with it a few times (I did try not to laugh)

HoneyIsBeePoo Tue 03-Feb-15 16:08:48

Why would you bother though? Sitting feeding is such a lovely time, and once it's gone that's it.

And IME 3 months is really a bit on the wee side.

addictedtosugar Tue 03-Feb-15 16:09:14

I'd go for diody rather than sippy too.
Boys we splashing water in their faces from them around 6 months. If a parent had some input into where the cup went (ie not lifting it to forcefully, or waving it around after sucess) it was reasonably sucessful. We only ever tried with water tho ;)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: