Talk

Advanced search

I feel like I'm force feeding him at night. :/

(10 Posts)
Annarose2014 Sat 31-Jan-15 10:40:12

FF 11 wks old, wakes every three hours like clockwork during the night. Thats fine, I don't mind. But what I'm perplexed by is how little he wants to drink each time lately.

I prepare 4 oz bottles but he loses interest after 2 oz, sometimes less. But I keep on going by dribs and drabs until he has most of it cos I'm worried he won't even last 3 hrs in between otherwise. This takes about half an hour.

He takes 5 oz bottles well during the day and he's a big lad so he's certainly not wasting away or anything.

Should I just not bother? Or should I persevere with trying to get more into him?

squizita Sat 31-Jan-15 11:10:42

I bf but at that age my dd sometimes took a quick one side feed at night. I worried for the same reason but she didn't seem to need more feeds, I guess she just ate more in the day.

She grew out of it at her next growth spurt.

Now she is 4 months and takes both boobs every 2-3 hr! shock No doubt this will change again.

So in my inexpert experience. .. its ok and may well pass in a few weeks.

tak1ngchances Sat 31-Jan-15 11:12:07

Maybe he's not waking for food?

ChippingInLatteLover Sat 31-Jan-15 11:13:58

Maybe he's waking out of habit, not for food, why not just cuddle him for a bit and see if he settles. You want know until you try.

Redling Sat 31-Jan-15 13:20:48

My DS goes through periods of 'snacking' and drinking much less but more often, I just go with it although it is maddening. At night he is not distracted or anything so I believe he takes what he wants/needs. Also sometimes he will go much longer between feeds when he's had a little depending on how deeply he has slept, it's not always more food = longer sleep.

Redling Sat 31-Jan-15 13:23:04

Also my DS didn't take 5oz bottles until much older, and was pretty much on 2-3oz per feed until about 14 weeks, so I would say it's fine!

Annarose2014 Sat 31-Jan-15 15:55:54

Thanks all! I won't go cold turkey but will try tonight stopping when he stops. Am worried he'll wake every hour but only one way to find out!

Lauramum23 Sat 31-Jan-15 16:06:30

Maybe it's just comfort? They need to suckle does he have a dummy?

Annarose2014 Sat 31-Jan-15 16:16:18

Hates dummies so no joy there.

deborah86 Sun 01-Feb-15 21:49:30

My Dd done this to me a couple of weeks ago. it started with dropping a couple of Oz in a feed during the nighy. then one night she just didn't get up for one of the feeds and gives me a good stretch of sleep. We get 9pm to 5 am stretch now. She's 11 weeks now

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: