Talk

Advanced search

I am starting night weaning tonight!

(27 Posts)
bambinibop Fri 30-Jan-15 20:12:33

My dd is just coming up to a year old. She still has a breastfeed in the night and I've decided to stop this feed now so hopefully I can get an unbroken nights sleep and I can stop breast completely soon. My dh is on duty to tonight so she doesn't see me and want milk!

Anyone else doing this now or soon or recently? ! Words of encouragement appreciated!

Flissity83 Fri 30-Jan-15 20:17:51

It may not happen over night so don't be disheartened if you have a bad night. I did it with my son and it took about 2 days. I just offered water when he woke instead of milk and he soon got the message. That doesn't mean I get a full night every night as he still wakes when ill etc but it's certainly better. Good luck

bambinibop Fri 30-Jan-15 20:21:56

Thank you! Dh has a week off work so we have some time I'm prepared for some bad nights and he is too I think! My HV suggested we don't offer water at first I case she starts waking for water instead but if she gets too upset I think we'll give her some as I'd worry otherwise!

TK1930 Fri 30-Jan-15 20:27:18

Good luck. Stick with it. So worth it in long run. Let DH deal with her for a few nights, try not to get involved x

bambinibop Fri 30-Jan-15 20:34:54

Thanks smile I will try, he is more than capable but it is hard in the middle of the night when a baby won't settle! Eek fingers crossed.

What hours did you all not feed between? My HV said 7 until 7 might be too long and maybe if she wakes at 5 to feed her at that point.

Flissity83 Fri 30-Jan-15 21:48:37

We're 7-7.

bambinibop Fri 30-Jan-15 21:57:06

Thanks flissity maybe I'll see how it goes! If we can hold out until 7 that would be good. All quiet here so far but then it usually is at this time! smile

bambinibop Fri 30-Jan-15 23:06:31

I'm having a moment oh she's growing up sad been reading the thread about newborns and just thinking how I won't be doing night feeds anymore! I know I sound mad but I will miss them a bit.

Anyway all quiet here and we're off to bed (which means she'll probably be up in a minute!)

bambinibop Sat 31-Jan-15 03:20:29

Dh currently trying to get a very cross baby back to sleep! It's hard not to run in and get her but I'm determined .

Flissity83 Sat 31-Jan-15 03:35:11

If it's any consolation we're up too with a snotty 15 month old.

Hope you all get some sleep soon.

bambinibop Sat 31-Jan-15 08:04:10

It we'll much better than I thought! She was up at 3 then dh calmed her down put her back then 5 minutes later she was crying again and I thought it was going to be really hard. But then dh calmed her down again and put her back to bed and she went to sleep and has only just woken up now!!

bambinibop Sat 31-Jan-15 08:05:09

Hope your baby feels better soon it's horrible when they are poorly

Flissity83 Sat 31-Jan-15 10:46:44

Glad it went well. Here's hoping you have an even better night tonight.

IdStillRatherBeKnitting Sat 31-Jan-15 11:31:14

Was just about to start a thread! Well done for last night, that's a brilliant start!

The time has come for me. DS is 2.8!!! And still feeds like a newborn at night. He'd feed all day long if I'd let him.

I finally thought at 4am this morning that enough was enough. That's after him feeding for about 1.5hrs (he changes sides constantly as THERES NO MILK! after about 20 mins). He grumbled, cried, sulked, watched a movie sitting up in bed, and finally nodded off at 0530.

Lots of issues, that I feed him to sleep, that we cosleep, so he just helps himself; and he feeds all night - he's never slept through, about 6 hrs straight is our record. I think I'll have to wear about 5 layers tonight so I wake when he starts ferreting about.

You think I'd know better, as he's my 4th child, and I weaned the others at 12, 13 and 14 months!

Flissity83 Sat 31-Jan-15 20:13:20

Oh wow knitting. I only have a 15 month old so no experience or advise I'm afraid but good luck for tonight.

bambinibop Sat 31-Jan-15 20:58:44

Thanks flissity we'll see how tonight goes! She's had a busy day today so hopefully she'll be too tired to make much fuss...hmm

Good luck knitting stay strong! smile I just keep thinking now I've started the best thing to do it persevere whatever happens as its fairer to her not to change my mind! I actually do feel a bit sad about it just because it feels like she's growing up and doesn't need me as much now sad but ultimately I'm ready to stop breastfeeding

She only took one side before bed tonight so one side is already feeling a bit uncomfortable, have a feeling it might be a bad night for me as I'll be up feeling sore, going to have a hot bath I think see if it helps at all

bambinibop Sun 01-Feb-15 08:25:54

Well last night was better! She woke at 2 or 3 am and I heard her grumble for a while but she went back to sleep. Then she woke at 4 crying and my dh went and settled her, she woke again half an hour later but he managed to settle her again (it was about 5 am at this point and I was thinking I might have to get up for the day !) Anyway then she slept through until now. I think that's pretty good for night 2 but we'll see how tonight goes

Hope anyone else doing this is having some success!

Flissity83 Sun 01-Feb-15 13:52:59

That's great news. Well done all. When we took the dummy away it was night 3 that was the worst. Stay strong and it will happen.

bambinibop Sun 01-Feb-15 17:53:45

Eek I'll prepare myself for a bad night tonight then!

IdStillRatherBeKnitting Tue 03-Feb-15 11:26:52

How are you doing bambinihop?

I haven't had broadband for days (very rural) so annoying!

Haven't fed DS sine 4am Friday...so I guess we're weaned.

First night, he cried a lot, slept 10-2am, then from 5-8am. Watched a movie and messed about in the night, but didn't ask for milk much.

Sunday night he slept from 11-4am, then had a sort of meltdown/malfunction, lots of trips to the kitchen to fetch stuff, which he then didn't want, and finally tired himself out, and went back to sleep 5-7.

Last night he slept 10.30-7, just woke up to change position, and went right back to sleep!! Didn't ask for milk at all.

I was up for hours though, nearly three years without a full nights sleep does that to you! At least tonights lasagne is all cooked and ready to heat up (made at 3am).

bambinibop Tue 03-Feb-15 14:13:14

Sounds very promising knitting we'll done you!

We're doing ok thanks, I haven't fed dd overnight since Thursday night. We have had a sickness bug here though so we've been up all night anyway, dd was actually fine it was me and dh that had it but we disturbed her by running back and forth to the bathroom! Anyway that aside she is settling really well and only taking 5 or 10 minutes to go back to sleep in the night. She doesn't seem to be bothered that I'm not feeding her! I'm still feeding her last thing at night and in the morning and I'll probably start cutting those ones out too soon. She's sleeping in until about 8am so that's good too!

I hope soon she'll stop waking up in the night at all but she is also teething at the moment and full of snot so I don't think that's helping.

Not too bad though!

bambinibop Wed 04-Feb-15 07:47:11

She slept through!!! 7pm until now without any waking at all! I can't actually believe it worked!

IdStillRatherBeKnitting Wed 04-Feb-15 11:51:29

It's like magic isn't it!
We slept through here too, 1030-0700, it has never been done before!
Still cosleeping in my arms, but no ferreting about, no little voice asking for milk anymore!
Sleep glorious sleep, how I've missed it!

bambinibop Wed 04-Feb-15 12:32:02

Wow that's great! It was a good night's sleep but I'm still getting over this sickness bug so I'm hoping tonight I'll be able to appreciate the sleep even more if she does it again that is!!

WhatismyLife Wed 04-Feb-15 12:37:28

I'm jealous op! I night weaned my 3 year old nearly 2 years ago and she still wakes up during the night! I've just ordered a bed for DS (18 months) so as soon as that comes he will be night weaned too. He's a lot more strong willed than DD so I'm dreading it. Glad it's gone so well for you though, you've done great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: