Talk

Advanced search

Introducing a bottle for breastfed baby

(6 Posts)
DoYouWannaBuildaSnowman Mon 26-Jan-15 11:57:48

Pfb is 2 weeks tomorrow. After what I assume are fairly normal issues getting established (dd not opening her mouth wide enough to latch properly, and pain from that) feeding seems to be getting better and better, good supply etc.

I plan to keep breastfeeding, but would like to introduce an occasional bottle of expressed milk so we have the option of dh doing a night feed, or later, me being able to leave dd for a couple of hours.

Any advice on how and when I'd be best to do that?

butternut22 Tue 27-Jan-15 12:45:08

I don't know the answer but my baby is 11 days and I would like advice in this as well. Hopefully some one will be able to advise .

Bippidee Tue 27-Jan-15 12:55:46

We introduced a bottle of ebm at about 3/4 weeks, and got lucky as DD took the bottle that came with my pump, so we didn't need to experiment.

Goouck with it, I found it helped if I was not in the room while DH gave her the bottle. She is now 16m,and will only really take half a bottle from me!

Bippidee Tue 27-Jan-15 12:58:43

Good luck, even!

Also worth bearing in mind is when you express milk, some ladies produce excess lipase which will make the milk taste funny and bitter and slightly soapy after freezing. You can eliminate that by scalding the milk before storing.

DoYouWannaBuildaSnowman Thu 29-Jan-15 18:32:57

Thanks bippidee smile

funchum8am Thu 29-Jan-15 18:41:49

We got DS (4wo tomorrow) to take a bottle yesterday on the first go. DD took ages to accept a bottle and we started at more like 9 weeks so I think a bit earlier is easier, at least in our case (or maybe children are just all different!). DH gave him 2oz but he refused to take the last oz I had expressed from me.

We used a Medela bottle that came with my pump.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: