Talk

Advanced search

Tongue & lip tie : now what?

(14 Posts)
piazilla Sun 25-Jan-15 23:59:04

My baby (8 weeks) has a type 4 hidden posterior tongue tie and a type 3 upper lip tie. While the first 5 weeks of breastfeeding were torturous , things are fine now! My question is : do I need to do anything about these particular kinds of ties? Might there be implications for him as a child or adult in terms of speech or anything else? Tia

MrsCakesPrecognition Mon 26-Jan-15 00:01:02

Have you been refered to see a consultant?

piazilla Mon 26-Jan-15 00:17:40

I went to see a lactation consultant. Made the appointment when I was having difficulties but had to wait 2 weeks , so by the time I saw her, I was no longer in pain during and after feeding. She examines ds and diagnosed the tongue and lip tie. She told me if it caused a problem with feeding again that they could look at revising the tie. I asked about an osteopath to do some body work and she said this may be helpful.
Thing is , I'm aware that a tongue tie revision past 1 year of each is a much bigger deal, and would prefer if it was going to cause any more problems, to deal with it sooner rather than later... But obviously don't want to put my ds through so procedure needlessly

piazilla Tue 27-Jan-15 05:55:58

Bump .... Anybody?

fairyqueen Tue 27-Jan-15 06:01:55

Get it fixed if you can. Although DD had hers done at 11 and it was fine, I wish she'd had it done as a baby.

fairyqueen Tue 27-Jan-15 06:03:42

Although I am a bit evangelical about this so you should probably listen to other opinions too!

piazilla Tue 27-Jan-15 06:09:15

Thanks fairy queen- may I ask what happens if it's not fixed? He is fine for feeding - might there be other consequences for leaving it be?

purplefeathers Tue 27-Jan-15 12:49:51

My understanding is that it may be okay now but there's a possibility of it causing problems once solids are introduced, or when they start talking. My lactation consultant was very much of the mindset of 'if it's been noticed, get it sorted'. We're currently on the waiting list. I know what you mean about not wanting to put them through an unnecessary procedure though.

DaisyMay01 Wed 28-Jan-15 20:00:45

Hiya, my son had a normal TT and has a grade IV lip tie. I don't know if they treat posterior TTs the same as the normal ones, but if they do i would recommend it as it can affect speech and cause dentsl issues later in life. My son was around 7 weeks when we had his done, he was a bit niggley for the rest of the day but you wouldn't of even known the next day! As for lip tie, they don't do much in this country unless it's affecting them when all their teeth are through or if they have real problems with speech.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 28-Jan-15 20:07:08

I had DS2's anterior tt snipped at four days and his grade IV lip tie and posterior tt lasered at five months. Breastfeeding stopped being painful after that point.

Apart from the pain I had it done because lip tie can cause tooth decay as the milk can pool around the tie onto the teeth, it would avoid speech difficulties and any of the other potential problems that might arise. I don't think anyone ever missed having a tt!

piazilla Wed 28-Jan-15 22:45:39

Thanks ladies- who did you consult with to get the procedure done? LC , pediatric dentist, ped surgeon , gp , speech therapist...?ive not been given much to go on by LC except to get some bodywork done by chiropractor to start with ...

purplefeathers Wed 28-Jan-15 22:56:57

My location consultant made the referral for us. But a gp can probably do it too.

purplefeathers Wed 28-Jan-15 22:57:23

Lactation, not location.

fairyqueen Wed 28-Jan-15 23:04:55

My DD had some speech issues, and it was effecting her singing (which is her thing). The fix has also made her able to lick an ice cream instead of just lipping it and getting in a mess. A small but significant point. I just can't see any downsides to getting it done, and the earlier it's done the less impact on speech and they don't have to relearn tongue moving.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: