Advanced search

Baby not feeding much at bedtime

(8 Posts)
Eminybob Sat 24-Jan-15 07:37:52

DS is 6.5 mo, EBF until now, and we have recently start weaning. We are doing baby led weaning so I wasn't expecting much of a change to his milk feeds but he does seem to be feeding less. I've found this especially at bedtime, and the knock on effect was he has been waking earlier and more frequently in the night, and feeding more then.

As I was planning to start combination feeding now anyway, I thought I'd try him with a bottle of formula last night to see if he takes more and therefore sleeps longer.

Well he only had 2.5oz then refused to drink any more. He went down fine though and slept until 4.30 which is really good for him, then bf quite a lot and went back down until 6.30 (again, pretty good)

Obviously 2.5oz is not enough though (and I made 7oz so what a waste!)

So do you think this could be due to the weaning? He has tea at 6 and bed at 7.30 so perhaps he's still full?

Or could it be the bottle?Would changing the teat on the bottle to a faster flow encourage him to drink more do you think? I used an Avent bottle with a no 2 teat (from 1 month as that is what came with the bottles). When he has had bottles of expressed milk before 6 months I used a tommee tippee first size one which he drank from fine, and also he's had a couple of bottles of Aptimil formula previously from the tommee tippee bottle which he drank at least 5oz of (but this was at the very beginning of weaning)

Could it be the formula? As I said he has had Aptimil before, but this time it was cow and gate.

Amy advice would be appreciated. Thanks smile

FlossieTreadlight Sat 24-Jan-15 07:50:01

Could you ring his tea forward a bit? Depends if you are at home or working, but bringing the time forward would space out the time between tea and milk feeds? Give him more time to work on digesting the food?

Eminybob Sat 24-Jan-15 07:53:04

Yeah I was thinking about that. The reason we have it at 6 is so we can all eat together, as DS has the same as us, and DP doesn't get home til 5.45. But it does make sense.

Imeg Sat 24-Jan-15 09:25:59

If he continues to sleep ok after having a formula feed at bedtime then I just wondered whether it matters if he doesn't have much, as long as he has plenty of milk at other times of day?
I have given my 10 month old dinner at 6 since we started weaning, for the same reason as you, and so he doesn't take much milk at bedtime (7-7.30), but he seems to have survived!

FlossieTreadlight Sat 24-Jan-15 09:52:23

You could give Ds his dinner the day after yours eg you and DH have lasagne on tues, DS has it on Wed, to save on multiple cooking?

Eminybob Sat 24-Jan-15 11:00:14

Well I did think that Imeg. He certainly slept better than after a bf so I'm going to keep going with it. And he did have a big feed at 4.30.

I guess I'm just worried as he had slipped down the centiles from 75th to just under 50th over the last 3 months. The hv isn't worried but it makes me paranoid about making sure he's eating enough.

BMO Sat 24-Jan-15 22:06:30

Why isn't 2.5oz enough? If he slept for 9 hours then it sounds like it was fine for him?

Eminybob Sun 25-Jan-15 02:16:35

Well I tried again last night. This time he drank 2.5oz again but screamed and screamed so I ended up bf him and he took loads then fell asleep. But he's awake again now confused
Could the screaming be because it was me trying to bottle feed him? Last night it was DP and he was fine.
He was obviously still hungry as he took a bf after.
But why has he woken now?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now