Talk

Advanced search

Will I get lopsided as feeds longer from one boob?

(6 Posts)
OrangesJuicyOranges Thu 22-Jan-15 21:07:05

I have a seven day old little one and am breastfeeding. Because she was losing so much weight I have been tracking it on an app. I noticed today that she feeds for much longer on one side - 2.5 hours compared to 1 hour on the other (in a day not in one go!) what can I do? Will I end up with two different sized boobs?!

Messygirl Thu 22-Jan-15 21:10:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElphabaTheGreen Thu 22-Jan-15 21:13:31

You tend to only get lopsided if there is a massive difference in how they feed off each e.g. if they will pretty much only feed off one boob rather than the other. I can't remember what DS1 did, but DS2 tends to have a long feed off the first side then a shorter feed off the second side, so rather than going back to the first side at the next feed, I'll return him to the second IYSWIM.

PS Ditch the app. It will only make you anxious and worry about things like lopsided boobs! The length of time she feeds for is no indicator of how much she's getting. Plenty of wet and dirty nappies plus waking for feeds = good intake, plus it's normal to lose some birthweight.

Congratulations on your new baby flowers

OrangesJuicyOranges Thu 22-Jan-15 21:23:54

Good advice re- ditching app. She lost too much weight though and I was put on a 'plan.' The doctor wanted me to formula feed and I had to be told I was 'going against medical advice' by breastfeeding without formula. So they keep asking me how often I'm feeding her. Today, for the first time, she didn't lose weight. So I'm sticking to my guns!

Nolim Thu 22-Jan-15 21:27:47

I was loopsided because my baby had a favorite most plentiful side. A few months after weaning everything went back to its original size.

ElphabaTheGreen Thu 22-Jan-15 21:33:49

<pounds head against the wall over the complete ignorance of the medical profession about breastfeeding>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: