Talk

Advanced search

Milk allergy passed onto baby?

(9 Posts)
Charlie1330 Wed 21-Jan-15 18:51:20

Does anyone have an experience of having a milk allergy, and the likelihood of this being passed onto baby. I was diagnosed with a mild milk allergy four years ago after the birth of my first two children, and am worried this may be passed onto my third. The Dr has said to breastfeed up to 4 months then tey to introduce formula gradually to see thz impact, which I am doing. Now, every time she has a niggle I put it down to the formula. A random question but if anyone has experienced anything similar I would be really interested to hear. Thanks.

VelvetGreen Wed 21-Jan-15 20:36:49

I have a mild dairy intolerance, and my ds has cmpi. I ebf for the first 6 months and have very little dairy and no cows milk in my diet, so didn't know there was a problem until we started weaning him at 6 months. I have no idea whether he inherited it from me or if it is coincidence - i have wondered whether the lack of dairy in my diet meant he didn't build up any tolerance to it.

The reaction was very obvious - running eyes, streaming nose, swelling and then vomiting like i have never seen. The reactions were also always pretty instantaneous. He also had eczema associated with the cmpi. If there was a problem then you would probably be noticing more than a niggle - i'm no expert on this though, and symptoms can obviously vary in type and intensity. What sort of things are worrying you?

Charlie1330 Thu 22-Jan-15 08:58:14

She seems uncomfortable after formula and has bigger smellier poos But this could be just getting used to formula. She also has a steaming nose and constantly pulling on her ear. Going to get her checked today

VelvetGreen Thu 22-Jan-15 10:47:38

I think that's sensible. Let us know how you get on.

Charlie1330 Thu 22-Jan-15 14:55:11

Baby seems ok and Dr not worried at all about milk allergy. He said not to worry and just to keep an eye on her.

VelvetGreen Thu 22-Jan-15 15:26:08

Good news!

ruth1104 Thu 22-Jan-15 17:19:04

My DS has cmpa and I ate loads of dairy when I was pregnant! It was the thing I craved most, the doc I saw said that's (anecdotally) often the case with cmpa babies. But it is common for babies with cmpa to have allergies in the family - that includes hayfever and eczema. I am ebf while dairy free which is working for us and I plan to do it as long as possible, if you are worried about cmpa this is a very helpful website
cowsmilkproteinallergysupport.webs.com/diagnosis

Charlie1330 Thu 22-Jan-15 18:54:59

How did you know your baby had this allergy?

ruth1104 Thu 22-Jan-15 20:14:52

He had a pretty severe reaction - blood in his stool, diarrhea, green stools, with wind and tummy pain. It cleared up completely after id stopped having dairy for about 3 weeks. I think its more common to find out at weaning stage, either to formula which is cows milk based or solid food, symptoms are often digestive (reflux and vomiting or wind and diarrhea) and skin issues like eczema but there's a more detailed page on that site. Anyway its good that the doctor isnt concerned, i would keep an eye on it and go back if you're not sure - going dairy free without supplements and advice is probably not a good idea (and the non cmp formula is prescription only)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: