Advanced search

10 months BF. Bit of advice please?

(12 Posts)
ktab Wed 21-Jan-15 16:00:01

Basically, I have breastfed my DS for 10 months, initially every 2 hours and then at 6 months when he was weaned, every 4 hours and now he has slowed down to BF 4 times a day. DS eats well and drinks cows milk, too so I'm just wondering if this is healthy?

I don't have a problem with it and there has been no change in behaviour or development.

worldgonecrazy Wed 21-Jan-15 16:05:21

There are two questions to ask yourself:

Is DS happy? (it would appear so)
Are you happy?

DD had slightly more feeds at that age, but all babies are different, and he is certainly able to now tell you if he wants to be fed.

nilbyname Wed 21-Jan-15 16:10:25

Sounds like a nice balance, are you worried that they are not getting enough?

I think by around 1 my DS was having 1 bf in the morning, one at bed time and then one through the night. I was back at work and he never had a bottle or a cup of milk in the day, just regular food and water.

Imeg Thu 22-Jan-15 15:23:48

My 10 month old has three breastfeeds a day (first thing, afternoon and bedtime) but the evening one is often a small one I think because it's not long after his dinner. He doesn't drink cow's milk yet but has it on his breakfast, and he guzzles his solids. He seems happy.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 22-Jan-15 15:26:48

My nearly 9 month old has morning, mid-morning, mid-afternoon and before bed then about a gazillion mouthfuls of feed through the night with his appalling sleeping. Sounds normal to me unless you have other worries.

Generally it isn't recommended to give cows' milk as a drink under one. Is there a reason you are?

ktab Thu 22-Jan-15 15:54:36

Thank you, everyone. Glad to have the reassurance. I had a really difficult time breastfeeding and to get to this point feels amazing.

Penguins, he has a little bit with meals, mainly to prepare for when we stop breastfeeding in 2 months. (Although things have improved with BF, I have hated it from the start - I like being close to him and I want the best for him but I can't wait to stop.)

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 22-Jan-15 16:06:25

Oh gosh. I was about to say stop if you hate it, but I guess it doesn't seem worth the faff of introducing formula for the benefit of two months.

ktab Thu 22-Jan-15 21:21:15

I was so determined to EBF so would definitely stay away from formula anyway. My target was 6 months with hope that if it improved I would manage a year! As he slowed down and started solids, I found it much more bearable, so carried on!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 22-Jan-15 21:44:29

Nearly there!

TarkaTheOtter Thu 22-Jan-15 21:46:56

Sounds totally normal.

VilootShesCute Thu 22-Jan-15 21:47:01

Wow well done ktab. Wonderful mummy smile

ktab Fri 23-Jan-15 10:19:47

Aww! Thank you! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now