Talk

Advanced search

My boobs don't leak - does this mean I'm not making enough?

(14 Posts)
OrangesJuicyOranges Tue 20-Jan-15 18:53:23

Only on day 5 of bf-ing my newborn. She was a csection baby and I fed her straight away. It's been going well and my milk came in yesterday - my boobs are ENORMOUS which is a massive novelty for me and my husband!

Baby is losing a little weight after a big weight loss (300g) after birth. Hospital have got me feeding every two hours. It just occurred to me that I'm not having to wear nipple pads as I don't leak. Is it too early to be leaking or does it mean I've not got enough milk? Or that the milk is somehow stuck?

Frusso Tue 20-Jan-15 18:55:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 20-Jan-15 18:56:19

Leakage or not does not determine how much milk you have.

You many want to feed more often than every two hours though - every time DD roots or Grizzles see if she wants some milk. Lots of skin to akin is good too.

Congratulations on your DD, and I'm sure someone more expert will be along soon...

IAmAPaleontologist Tue 20-Jan-15 19:07:24

doesn't at all mean you don't have enough milk. c section babies on average have a lower milk transfer around days 3 to 5 meaning they get less milk so that could be behind your weight issues. The good news is that it evens out from now on so keep feeding, use all the support you have and hopefully her weight will begin to creep up.

OrangesJuicyOranges Tue 20-Jan-15 20:15:42

Ok, I thought everyone leaked!! The doctor said every three hours but I'm going every two if she doesn't ask as well as when she asks. It's averaging two hours now she's feeding for 20 mins at a time.

weebairn Tue 20-Jan-15 20:23:44

My SIL never leaked not once and fed her second daughter till 2 years old (in fact struggled to get her to stop!)

didireallysaythat Tue 20-Jan-15 20:24:40

I didn't leak. I didn't have the milk coming in experience. And when I finished breast feeding I didn't have any discomfort.

As the lovely lady at the breast feeding clinic said "You make exactly the right amount of milk for your baby and not a drop extra".

Congratulations !

OrangesJuicyOranges Tue 20-Jan-15 20:43:45

Oh thank you. That's so reassuring. I assumed I hadn't got enough. You are all so lovely, thank you

Frusso Tue 20-Jan-15 21:14:49

Frusso Tue 20-Jan-15 21:16:22

callamia Tue 20-Jan-15 21:18:38

I didn't really leak. Definitely not early on, later, sometimes during feeding the other side might leak a bit.

I definitely has enough though. I ended up donating milk to the milk bank because I could express loads.

YokoUhOh Tue 20-Jan-15 21:18:45

OP, this is my go-to website for all breastfeeding questions (there will be many over the coming months!):

Www.kellymom.com

Enjoy your lovely baby smile

TheBookofRuth Tue 20-Jan-15 21:22:33

I've been breastfeeding for the past three years, for the past six months I've bend feeding two, I've never leaked. Definitely doesn't seem to be a problem with my supply, DS has gone from the 25th to the 91st percentile in that time.

SoMuchForSubtlety Tue 20-Jan-15 21:31:06

Everything I've ever read (that's trustworthy) says the only way to tell if you have enough supply is if your baby is making a normal amount of wet/dirty nappies. Leaking doesn't have anything to do with it.

You might need to feed more frequently than every two hours though. DD fed 20 times a day at that age (bf consultant assured me this is within the bounds of normal). Don't look at the clock, look for signs of hunger like rooting or fist in the mouth etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: