Talk

Advanced search

Making up formula on the go

(17 Posts)
BreeVDKamp Tue 20-Jan-15 17:10:36

Would it be acceptable to have a flask of boiling water, a flask of cooled boiled water, a container of powder and a sterile bottle, and make up a bottle a la the Perfect Prep Machine (shot of hot water, formula, swirl around, add cold water)? My friend takes a pre-prepared bottle and heats it up in a jug of boiling water, but reading the WHO guidelines it says formula should be made up fresh for each feed?

The logistics of this are something I cannot deal with with my pregnancy brain sad

DandyHighwayman Tue 20-Jan-15 17:13:56

You must be absolutely cast iron sure that you are topping up the correct amount of cooled. Pre measure?

Fairylea Tue 20-Jan-15 17:15:32

I used to use the pre prepared cartons for the odd time I was out and about. Just used to pour into a sterilised bottle that I took with me.

BreeVDKamp Tue 20-Jan-15 17:22:59

You must be absolutely cast iron sure that you are topping up the correct amount of cooled. Pre measure?

Don't you just fill it up to a line on the bottle? But yes could only take the amount I need with me I guess.

I work in a cafe and see so many women feeding out and about, maybe I should ask them how they do it! That might be weird confused

BreeVDKamp Tue 20-Jan-15 17:23:11

Oops sorry, I meant italics!

dementedpixie Tue 20-Jan-15 17:26:17

no you cant fill it up to the line as when made up properly with x ounces to x scoops the formula amount comes over the line, hence needing pre-measured water. A chilled bottle of formula in a cool bag is ok for up to 4 hours.

DandyHighwayman Tue 20-Jan-15 17:27:51

The thing is:
To make say a 6 oz bottle- 4 oz v hot water, add 6 scoops, now it reaches the 5 oz line, you add one oz, the bottle measures 6oz but you've only used 5oz water. Too concentrated.
You'll get the hang of it.

dementedpixie Tue 20-Jan-15 17:28:30

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/infant-formula-questions.aspx#close - gives info about feeding out and about and transporting made up feeds

fattymammy Tue 20-Jan-15 17:34:00

I always took empty bottle pre measured formula in container which had three departments and had boiled water in a flask actually I had the powder dispenser on the unit on the kitchen and put excess water in a small flask on the work top by the kettle that way a feed was always ready to go .

Dailylurker Tue 20-Jan-15 17:46:12

I know it's not the official line to take but I have always made up bottles in advance and cooled them quickly, stored them in a fridge/cool bag and heated when required and after 3 children (this was the guidelines at the time of the 1st 2) and they've all been just fine.

If you look and research why they are made up fresh when required it is because there is a very very small risk of a baby being poorly (think it is one boy in France in the past 10 years that has had a problem) I felt for me the pros of having bottles and not dealing with screaming babies and trying to juggle them whilst faffing with a boiling hot kettle outweighed the risks.

disclaimer: this is my opinion and you would need to weigh up the risks for yourself grin

BreeVDKamp Tue 20-Jan-15 17:50:56

Whew! Ok. That was a good link, thanks dementedpixie. So the NHS says it's fine if chilled and used within 4 hours. And then I guess I have to take a jug and hot water with me anyway to heat it up. Or just make a hot bottle and let the baby scream while I cool it down blush

I will get my head around it all I'm sure! smile thanks.

rita68 Tue 20-Jan-15 18:02:25

Measure the required amount of powder into a container. Take an empty sterilised bottle. Have a flask with cool boiled water in it. And a flask of boiling water. You then have a choice. Fill the sterilised bottle with cool water and top it up with some of your boiling water to the right level, and until it's the right temperature, then add your powder, shake, and hey presto.

Or fill the sterilised bottle to the right level with cool boiled water, add your powder and shake, then fill the now empty powder container with boiling water and sit the bottle in it till it's the right temperature.

Personally, I'd do the first option, unless anyone knows any reason why not?

dementedpixie Tue 20-Jan-15 18:36:15

in the first option the water wouldn't be 70 degrees which is the temperature required to kill bacteria in the formula.

Smudge588 Tue 20-Jan-15 18:44:06

I keep small bottles of 3oz cooled boiled water in the little bottles with sealing discs on. I normally do a 6oz feed so I put 3oz boiling water in, six scoops of powder, mix it up then pour in the 3oz cold water. If I'm out I take the boiling water with me in a flask. I also have several feeds already measured out in the little powder dispenser thing with the three sections.

I do the same in the night as it saves having to go downstairs and I can make a bottle really quickly when needed.

BreeVDKamp Tue 20-Jan-15 21:30:13

YES smudge, that seems like the system for me!! I was trying to figure out a plan like yours, but don't have the brain for it currently haha. I can't see any downsides to your plan! Thank you!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 20-Jan-15 21:34:21

I just make one before I leave the house and chuck it in the baby bag. I serve it when needed at room temp. Ive never warmed up a bottle to be fed (though I do make it with hot water).

omama Wed 21-Jan-15 01:14:43

This flask has been really handy for us. Its a Flask & jug all in one:

flask

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: