Advanced search

Possible to bf for 2 weeks then mixed feed?

(9 Posts)
MakeMeWarmThisWinter Mon 19-Jan-15 22:18:18

I ff my first after a horrendous c-section and recovery. I'd planned to breastfeed and felt horribly guilty - but hey ho, onwards and upwards. She latched on in recovery room and for first day or so, it was fine, I was happy but when the drugs wore off and it was only paracetamol I was given (I had complications that meant I stayed in a week, cba giving all details right now!) I was in too much pain to sit up and couldn't reach baby.

Anyway, I'm older and wiser and am determined to breastfeed for the first couple of weeks then switch to formula, gradually so my boobs don't explode. Last time though my milk didn't come in until 5 days.

Any words of wisdom? I want to bf for the first few weeks, my DH will have a month off and I want to establish bottles by then.

Please no judgement - it's my decision - I am happy with this and am seeking practical advice on how to make it work. If I love breastfeeding and it is working well then I will continue - but right now I feel like this is what I would like to do. I had thought I would just ff from the start but if my recovery is anything like as bad as last time, I will just have lo in bed with me and get DH to help with nappies and passing him, and get to grips with bottles later when I'm more mobile and before he goes back to work and I'm juggling baby and toddler.

I don't want to bf beyond a few weeks - is this realistic and achievable? I read a lot on here that the first few weeks are the hardest - if that is all I'm planning to do should I not even try?

I wasn't supported well with feeding in hospital last time but I am much more informed and prepared this time - I know that if lo has a little formula in hospital then it doesn't mean the end of breastfeeding. I will do my best and not beat myself up this time whatever happens.

Thanks for words of wisdom thanks

FATEdestiny Mon 19-Jan-15 22:37:40

It is perfectly reasonable and doable to breastfeed for the first few weeks or as long as you would like to. Definitely achievable and reasonable.

If you then want to move on to formula, that's OK too. No judging from me.

What I would say is you are unlike to be able to establish long term mix feeding at 2 weeks. Mix feeding (when you both breastfeed and bottlefeed) usually needs for you to have established breastfeeding exclusively first. Generally 12 weeks exclusive breastfeeding for a good chance at keeping mix feeding going longer term, 6 weeks might work. You are right that formula does not need to spell the end of breastfeeding.

You could consider expressing your breastmilk and giving it in a bottle.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Mon 19-Jan-15 22:47:26

Thank you Fate. I think I mean two weeks exclusive bf, then two weeks mix, then exclusive formula. So on formula only by the time DH back at work and I'm on my own with two little terrors. Does that sound doable? Or would it be better to mix right from the start? Basically I do want to ff, but I don't want to faff with bottles in the first few days in hospital (it will be c section again) or while I'm still very postnatal - so then a quickish weaning on to formula.

ineedsomeinspiration Mon 19-Jan-15 22:49:32

Of course you can bf for a couple of weeks you can feed your baby your way, your baby, your body. I will admit I did find the first few weeks hard but that doesn't mean to say you will. I wish more people had been honest about how it could be difficult it could be I think I would have found it easier then iyswim.

Why don't you just plan to do feed by feed and see how you feel. My milk didn't come in till day five either but it was fine and ds gained weight well. Good luck with whatever you choose op.

NickyEds Tue 20-Jan-15 11:28:27

Of course you cansmile. Just bf your baby then start to introduce bottles when you feel you want to. A lot of the issue with regard to mix feeding are about continuing to bf much longer term than a month, preserving supply etc. I think managing without any engorgement might be tricky though, but I'd think that would be the case whenever you switch, be it when your milk first comes in or after a few weeks.

Groovester Tue 20-Jan-15 12:12:12

I did exactly this and had no problems with my boobs. Good luck!

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Tue 20-Jan-15 17:27:19

Thank you all so much thanks

I am feeling so defensive already about ff-ing! It's not MN I need to defend myself on, it will be in real life to my mother in law etc. Ah well she's welcome to bf baby herself if she's that keen grin

One feed at a time is really good advice, thank you. I know every bf feed is beneficial so I will try for as long as I manage, but be ready with all the bottle kit on standby for when I decide to give formula - whether that's day 2 or day 222 grin

LetticeKnollys Tue 20-Jan-15 17:45:49

I know a few women who have done this, they all do bf's for night feeds and then vary from one mum to the other as to how much formula they give in the day.
I do know that the night feeds are the most important for your supply because of the hormones which are released at night (or so I have been told by various HCPs), so don't replace those with formula if possible. Breastfeeding at night is fantastic as well for getting sleep, especially if you co-sleep/have a bedside cot.

Izzy24 Tue 20-Jan-15 17:49:35

You absolutely can do this as per your plan. And don't forget the ready-made bottles.

Feed by feed is the best advice !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now