Talk

Advanced search

How to move to formula

(9 Posts)
ralv Sat 17-Jan-15 20:15:30

Hi All,

After two weeks of complete anguish and pain trying to breastfeed and my DS losing a lot of weight because I can't produce enough, I've made the painful decision to change over to formula.
The midwife has been fantastically supportive (not the Breastapo at all) and her advice is not to express when the pups get sore, just buy a really supportive bra and wait it out through the pain.
Just wondering what experience and words of advice anyone else has on this? I'm a bit worried about getting mastitis...?

Thank you xx

FATEdestiny Sat 17-Jan-15 21:46:55

There is no reason you will get mastitis by stopping breastfeeding, don't worry smile

splendide Sun 18-Jan-15 11:17:43

I've just started this change at 12 weeks - also after weight loss. If it's any consolation/ encouragement I wish I'd done it sooner. I've actually been keeping up breastfeeding as well for extra calories and the cuddles so that stops engorgement and discomfort. I'm giving 4 bottles a day so I know that the beeastfeeding is likely to die off but it's nice doing both for now. Equally if you just want to stop altogether I'm sure you'll be fine

ralv Sun 18-Jan-15 16:37:27

Thanks splendide... I felt lots of guilt and had lots of tears yesterday, but after one day of bottle feeding the change to DS is amazing. He is a much happier, healthier baby and we are definitely coming together better as a family.
I tried the savoy cabbage thing last night which seemed to really help and breasts aren't too painful at all.
I was doing combination feeding for a while but decided the benefits were outweighed by the pain and stress of it - following breast reduction surgery I simply wasn't making enough and DS was constantly hungry and crying.
So now I have the new hurdle of getting bottle feeding right. A bit concerned that he will be hungry and crying while I wait for the kettle water to cool down... I suppose running it under a cold tap will help? Also... whats the rule about preparing a bottle in advance for night feeds or trips out?
Thanks all xxx

splendide Sun 18-Jan-15 18:10:57

I'm using ready mixed which is a bit extravagant but is brilliant and he's taking it room temp so all pretty easy. My son also seems loads happier. I'm still sad about the feeding but it is what it is. It's such a horrible feeling when they lose weight isn't it? Be kind to yourself.

MrsNutella Sun 18-Jan-15 18:24:22

Drinking peppermint tea will reduce your milk. When I gave up feeding DS I made sure to drink a few cups and expressed when of if my boobs became sore.

Sage tea is disgusting supposedly works faster but I didn't try it. smile

MrsNutella Sun 18-Jan-15 18:25:59

- sorry a few cups a day.

You've done a fantastic job. He's happy and that will make you happy. It's really the most important thing. I wish you well.
And of course, congratulations on becoming a mummy!! thanks

stargirl1701 Sun 18-Jan-15 18:27:37

Sage tea, sudafed and the combined pill will all reduce your supply. You can hand express for comfort.

You know can choose to mix feed?

Heatherbell1978 Sun 18-Jan-15 18:46:01

Best way is to do it gradually. Mix feed first if you can. My 5 mth old is ff but was ebf until 4 mths before a nursing strike. He started refusing the breast when we were out, then during the day, then eventually at night so over about 3 weeks we stopped as more breast feeds were replaced by bottles. It's been a week since his last bf and my boobs feel like they did pre baby now. Never had any issues with engorgement etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: