Talk

Advanced search

BF 2yo - going away for 2 nights - do I need to pump?

(9 Posts)
ZamMummyInGabs Fri 16-Jan-15 06:34:46

DD is 25mo & still bf 2 or 3 times a day, but not at night any more. She is CMPI & has no other milk but eats Neocate Spoon for calcium etc plus plenty of solids. I am going away for 2 nights at the end of the month, will I need to pump while I'm away? To keep supply going or for my comfort. I've never really got on with expressing (she is dc3) & she has never taken a bottle. I don't want this to be an opportunity to wean her as we have a trip home to the UK (live in Botswana) at end of Feb with long flights & medical/hospital stuff so I want us to still have the comfort of boob for that.
She is definitely still properly feeding not just comfort sucking. This is all new as both DS's self-weaned at/before 1 & were cow's milk guzzlers!

spaghettisue Fri 16-Jan-15 08:20:13

I would recommend you try to express, firstly to ensure your milk supply keeps up, but also for your comfort - I think you'll feel pretty engorged going 2 days without feeding otherwise.

gamerchick Fri 16-Jan-15 08:22:43

I dunno I would be really surprised if you get discomfort that far into breastfeeding. After 2 days you should be able to pick up where you left off.

gamerchick Fri 16-Jan-15 08:25:40

Maybe take a pump anyway just incase of discomfort but I really wouldn't worry about supply.

daluze Fri 16-Jan-15 12:51:50

Supply will be fine. If you feel uncomfortable, you can hand express for comfort, but I would be surprised if you do need that. E.g. my DS stopped breastfeeding at ~20 months, and after 3 weeks break started again, as if he never had that break.

ZamMummyInGabs Sat 17-Jan-15 18:18:17

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going on a yoga weekend (by MYSELF, hurrah) & will be in shared accommodation so was not relishing the prospect of pumping :-) a bit of hand expressing in the shower will be ok if necessary though I've never had much trouble with engorgement. Will treat it as a test drive for 10th anniversary weekend away with DH at end of March - definitely don't want to be pumping on that trip wink

TeaPleaseBob Sun 18-Jan-15 20:23:14

My lo is 20 months and feeds 2 times a day (more if unwell/ teething). I work shifts and can go 2-3 days without feeding. Not been a problem since about 25 months or so. I don't express and don't feel uncomfortable and lo feeds happily afterwards so don't think supply is affected too much.

Enjoy your weekend away! smile

leedy Tue 20-Jan-15 14:44:37

I might bring the pump anyway for comfort, even though your supply is pretty bombproof at that age - DS2 is also two, feeds usually three times a day or so (never at night), and I was away for two nights last weekend (folk singing weekend in Northumberland!), was actually surprised at how much came out when I pumped. Suspect I'd have been pretty engorged if I hadn't. Just did it briefly morning and evening.

CityDweller Thu 22-Jan-15 21:29:57

Thanks for asking this as I have exactly same question (although 21mo DD only feeds a tiny amount in the morning and bedtime). Also going away on a similar type of retreat. CANNOT WAIT!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: