Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop breastfeeding when baby WILL NOT drink anything else??!!

(3 Posts)
LimesMum Mon 12-Jan-15 07:20:06

DD is 11 months and I'm keen to stop bf. She is only fed at 7am and 7pm but I'm unsure how to stop as she really takes minimal fluids otherwise.

She will drink a little water from a sippy cup at meal times and occasionally takes some juice of offered but will not take any sort of Formula or cows milk, or ebm. She started to refuse a bottle at 4 months and has done ever since.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this issue and if so if you have any advice please? She seems to drink a lot at these am and pm feeds and I just dint think she'd manage if I go cold turkey

westcountrywoman Mon 12-Jan-15 07:29:57

My DS was the same. We stopped BF at 14 months and he point blank refused to drink anything, bar a few sips here and there of water, or juice. Cow's milk was a no no.
He's 3.3 years now and is still a terrible drinker. He started drinking cows milk at around 2.5 and will drink a small cup (c. 100ml) happily, but no more. Water is sipped. Some days he barely drinks more than a small child's cup of fluid all day.
I do worry and have asked HV for advice many times. She just said he's clearly not thirsty and will be getting fluids from food too. I think she is right. He will go all day at nursery without a drink and doesn't often ask for one at home. I have to remind him to have a few sips here and there.
I don't feel guilty about stopping BF. 14 months was long enough IMO!

LimesMum Mon 12-Jan-15 08:49:36

Oh good that's reassuring to know that they can survive!!!

I honestly think ive got every drinking vessel on the market!!! She just isn't interested!

Think I'll try a couple more months tops then try stopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now