Talk

Advanced search

breastfed baby post - antibiotics

(4 Posts)
Greenstone Sun 11-Jan-15 20:13:31

Dd aged 10 weeks recently finished a course of antibiotics (augmentin) after surgery. Her poo was foamy/frothy while on them (once there were a few flecks of blood) and the poo is still quite runny and occasionally mucus-y (though sometimes it's fine, mustard with curds).

HV has suggested that she has secondary lactose intolerance after the antibiotics - she has been full of wind and unhappy. I am using colief drops to see if they help at all and they possibly are helping a bit.

Just wondering really how worrying this is...does anyone know how long it takes for the gut to heal? Should I or dd take a probiotic?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 11-Jan-15 20:23:46

DD has a secondary lactose intolerance after gastroenteritis at about 6 months. It took about 3 weeks to get back to normal I think. We were eventually prescribed some lactose free formula but by the time we got it (was a very long process with letters to consultants etc) she was better.

Greenstone Mon 12-Jan-15 04:53:13

Thanks v much for the reply. I hope it's not much longer than 3 weeks here too, fingers crossed.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 12-Jan-15 08:38:58

Hope she's better soon, I remember it being fairly horrific! DD was having up to 15 bowel movements a day and I remember sitting in the Dr's office sobbing that I couldn't change any nappies blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now