Talk

Advanced search

breastfed baby post - antibiotics

(4 Posts)
Greenstone Sun 11-Jan-15 20:13:31

Dd aged 10 weeks recently finished a course of antibiotics (augmentin) after surgery. Her poo was foamy/frothy while on them (once there were a few flecks of blood) and the poo is still quite runny and occasionally mucus-y (though sometimes it's fine, mustard with curds).

HV has suggested that she has secondary lactose intolerance after the antibiotics - she has been full of wind and unhappy. I am using colief drops to see if they help at all and they possibly are helping a bit.

Just wondering really how worrying this is...does anyone know how long it takes for the gut to heal? Should I or dd take a probiotic?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 11-Jan-15 20:23:46

DD has a secondary lactose intolerance after gastroenteritis at about 6 months. It took about 3 weeks to get back to normal I think. We were eventually prescribed some lactose free formula but by the time we got it (was a very long process with letters to consultants etc) she was better.

Greenstone Mon 12-Jan-15 04:53:13

Thanks v much for the reply. I hope it's not much longer than 3 weeks here too, fingers crossed.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 12-Jan-15 08:38:58

Hope she's better soon, I remember it being fairly horrific! DD was having up to 15 bowel movements a day and I remember sitting in the Dr's office sobbing that I couldn't change any nappies blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: