Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and taking decongestant for sinus infection

(10 Posts)
Addictedtohotbaths Sat 10-Jan-15 13:22:33

I've got a sinus infection, had it for nearly 3 weeks and finally got anti-bis. Haven't been able to smell or taste since it started and we are going for a special meal today, would it be ok to have one spray of sudafed in the hopes I can taste temporarily or is it not worth it as breastfeeding 7month dd? Has anybody else taken it while breastfeeding? Thanks very much.

WishUponAStar88 Sat 10-Jan-15 13:31:17

I had a bad cold a few weeks back and the pharmacist told me that I could take anything in the way of sprays/ inhaler things just not the tablets that contain decongestants as they can dry up your supply. I used the Vicks spray which worked well, haven't tried the sudafed one.

ChunkyPickle Sat 10-Jan-15 13:37:00

I found the sprays affected it much much less than the tablets, but I think they did still have an effect.

I just saved it for when I really needed it, like last thing at night after his last feed.

SliceOfLime Sat 10-Jan-15 13:45:36

if you google Breastfeeding Network and click through to the drugs fact sheets, there's one on cough and cold remedies that tells you what's safe, it's really helpful, I was reading it yesterday as I have a terrible cold and was desperate to know what i could take! I would post the link for you but my phone isn't letting me copy and paste for some reason...

Addictedtohotbaths Sat 10-Jan-15 14:49:46

Thanks everyone, I will check out the breastfeeding network now, hopefully there is something stronger than salt water I can have!

stargirl1701 Sat 10-Jan-15 17:32:09

There is a Vicks spray which is effective. I used it while bf.

| Complete Feed&utm_content=sYPV6PHkH|dm_pcrid_70735276091

VroomOnTheBroom Sat 10-Jan-15 17:44:27

I'm pregnant and have been wondering the same thing and doing a bit of research on it. I think from all I've read that while some ingredients in the sprays haven't been expressly confirmed to be safe for breastfeeding/pregnancy (because that would mean testing them on pregnant and BFing women which is unethical), the amount of a dose delivered by spray is minuscule compared to an oral decongestant and can't do any harm. It's local-acting as well so only affects the area targeted, not the whole body.

Otrivine is my lifesaver. Costs about £3 and you only need 1-2 sprays per day. I still try and use it sparingly, like just before bed, but I do try to use all medication sparingly when pregnant and I'm reasonably confident that I'm being overcautious.

ChunkyPickle Sat 10-Jan-15 19:32:51

I wasn't worried about safety - but because I'd thoughtlessly taken the tablets once with ds1 and ended up with rather sore nipples (tmi?) because it temporarily dried up my milk and he fed and fed until it had worked through my system and he got a proper feed again (I seem to remember it taking a whole day before I was running at normal capacity again)

Addictedtohotbaths Sun 11-Jan-15 20:24:46

I called the Breastfeeding Network Drugs helpline and she was really helpful and said any nasal spray is fine as it acts locally but don't take anything in pill form.

mrsmugoo Sun 11-Jan-15 20:54:57

I had a bad case of sinusitis recently that lasted about a month which I soldiered on without any meds for.

I've recently stopped feeding and took some Sudafed for a cold and I'm still leaking milk 2 weeks after stopping, without just a tiny bit of hand expressing for comfort.

I wish I'd taken the bloody Sudafed when I needed it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now