Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else have a super quick feeder?

(12 Posts)
Livvylongpants Fri 09-Jan-15 19:17:33

DD is 6 days old and my 3rd DC, I didn't BF the other 2 so this is all new to me. We were in hospital for 4 days and the midwives were unhappy with her feeding as she only fed for 5 minutes max before falling asleep or pulling off. They eventually let us go when I started giving some formula even though she didn't seem to be hungry after feeds.

Today the midwife came out to weigh her, she's only lost 2oz! The midwife watched her feed and said she's just a quick feeder and no issues at all. According to the hospital she should have been feeding for 20-40 minutes, can she really be taking enough in just 5 minutes?

WishUponAStar88 Fri 09-Jan-15 19:21:24

My dd is quick now at 3 months (although still about 10 minutes) but she wasn't that young. Fab news about her weight though! I would make sure she's weighed fairly regularly for the first few weeks to be sure she's still gaining sufficiently.

cathpip Fri 09-Jan-15 19:23:22

Yes. My third dc (never breast fed the other two either) was so efficient he was fed, changed and winded in 10 mins, midwives not worried as he always gained 6/7 oz a week. All the HV said was " you clearly have a supply of gold top". He's now 9 months, a complete boob monster and is on the 91st centile for height and weight.

JuniperTisane Fri 09-Jan-15 19:27:15

Ds1 would regularly do 4 minute feeds, mostly in just one side per feed, and he was a 91st centile chunker with no feeding or weight issues at all. He was just very efficient.

LucyAylesbarrow Fri 09-Jan-15 19:28:44

Yes, none of my children needed anything more than 5 mins usually. I fed on demand and didn't notice that they were more settled/ slept better they occasionally fed for longer. Glad it is going well, don't overthink it or let other people disconcert you by their tales of 2 hr breastfeeding sessionshmm

Livvylongpants Fri 09-Jan-15 19:28:58

I have quite a lot of milk which seems to help! I pumped and fed the other 2 and remember having tons of it and this time round my boobs are like rocks by the time I feed her so she hardly has to suck blush

I'm hoping it'll calm down with time

fidgetywidget Fri 09-Jan-15 19:31:57

My DS (15 weeks) is a quick feeder too, 5 or 10 minutes per side & he doesn't always want both. Only down side is fairly frequent feeding (every 2 hours in the day & several times at night). He was 91st centile from birth-12weeks & only just under that now.
Speed feeding is handy for getting on with other things but not if you wanted to watch a bit of telly while feeding!

Livvylongpants Fri 09-Jan-15 19:35:52

My other DC are 15 months and 3 so the speed feeding is a blessing! If I had to spend an hour feeding her then it may well be difficult to continue

Heatherbell1978 Fri 09-Jan-15 20:12:37

DS1 is 20 wks and we bf until he was 18 wks (nursing strike....long story). I used to time his feeds on an app to keep track of them and he averaged 6 mins per feed since day 1 and never lost any weight post birth! He'd drain my boob completely in that time and flop into a milk coma so I knew he was getting enough. If your boob feels empty and she's doing plenty dirty and wet nappies, you're fine!

MadeInChorley Fri 09-Jan-15 20:31:17

Yes, DS2 was a v efficient feeder. 4 mins was his average. I was a bit concerned at first, because DS1 would suck for hours, but DS2 was a big hungry 10lb baby and was always full and practically drained my boob in that time. He was reflux-y and would sometimes throw up his entire 4min feed (whereupon I'd start all over again) and there was a LOT of milk. He kept putting on loads of weight. We did have a couple of hiccups with nursing strikes, but I EBF until he was 5.5m and continued feeding until he was 18m. Trust your instincts and if your baby seems full, is happy and putting on weight then it's ok.

tippytappywriter Fri 09-Jan-15 20:35:13

Yes! My DD took forever and would fall asleep. DS was like a feeding machine and would do both sides in 10 mins. As he was number 2 it was a blessing. He was like that from birth; when wrapped in a blanket he just sucked on it!

Victoria2002 Sat 10-Jan-15 08:07:36

Yes. Ds never fed for more than 12mins, generally much shorter. I have a lot of milk that flows fast. I remember trying to wake him and push him etc to do the recommended 20min minimum but he never did. He never lost weight. Now I have a newborn and he's exactly the same only this time am not wasting time stressing about 20min feeds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now